Off the Great Loop. Boat pulled, see the full damage - Yikes. How to post iPhone MOV files?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And the Admiral is joining me this time! At least for part of the trip. With that in mind, will try to make the trip interesting for her. So I’m skipping Chicago (saw that on previous leg) and putting in Green Bay. Hope to stay off the beaten path and avoid the bigger cities as much as possible.

Loaded boat on trailer with boat hauler in advance of Elsa. Still, he told me that he got caught in hail in feeder bands in Georgia. So he pulled off and covered windshield and console with pieces of carpet.

Boat should arrive this afternoon. So this is more of a test post to see if I remember how to post pics from my iPad. More to follow as WiFi connections allow.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Excellent news, I’ll be following your journey.

all the best to ya

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
And me of course. If you get to Portage Lake, (West Shore, L Michigan) during the last 2 weeks of July, stop in. If this is a possibility, let me know, and I'll private message you with my contact info.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the encouragement- and the invites!

Day 1

Boat finally arrived after after 5pm getting held up by Elsa after all. South Bay Marina agreed to keep someone there “as long as it takes” to get us fueled up and checked in. Actually got there about 5:30 pm. Put in at a Ramp in Fox River just up River from South Bay Marina in Green Bay.

Heading down Fox River to Green Bay:

Tucked into South Bay Marina:

Sunset in Green Bay:

Rob

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Day 2: Day 1 ended at Kaps Marina on Washington Island, about 2/3 up Green Bay. No cell service or WiFi; hence no posting of Day 1 or 2 pics.

Day 2 was about 50 degrees at sunrise. Cold enough for us South FL folks.

Running into a ten knot wind and we were down right chilly!

Mostly running in a wide open Bay, so my wife, the photographer, did find too much to photograph. Were surprised to see many white pelicans, but no photos are worth posting.

Running about 80 miles into a stiffening breeze did tire us out a bit.

But we did make Kaps Marina on Washington Island.

Later, we rented bicycles hoping to seethe Icelandic horses. Sadly, the person who was keeping the last of them had them taken away for mistreatment and malnourishment. On a better note, Kaps Marina and Restaurant is all family run. Great people.

Unfortunately, you do have to enter what is marked as Death’s Door Passage to get there!

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Day 3. Death's Door didn’t get us on the way in, so we paid homage on the way out.

Entering Death's Door

Exiting Death’s Door. Again with proper respect to Trident/Neptune:

Lake Michigan gave us a gentle following sea this day. With that, everyone was happy:

Eventually we made our way up to the entrance of Manistique, MI in the Upper Peninsula.

Harbor entrance:

And tied up in the recently redone Manistique Muni Marina:

That catches us up for now. Long run tomorrow. Either to St. Ignace or Maybe to Hessell. See how we feel heading into a forecasted east wind.

Rob

Last edited:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is great; Glad to see you continuing the Trip.

When I said Portage Lake, West Shore, L. Michigan, technically it's on the East shore. It's South of Traverse on the Michigan side. I'll be staying aboard my Marlin in the marina. If you want to say "hi" for an afternoon or stay over, I'll get you dates/details.

Been chilly up there as you've noticed. Part of the problem with regard to cruising is the frigid water temps. When I brought the Marlin up to Portage from Saugatuck, my Garmins registered 46-49 degree water temps most of the way. I'm guessing in the Northern Reaches of the Lake, you're cracking 55 by now, which is still a bit brisk, especially with no canvas up.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Magical. Unfortunately, it’s not likely that I'll get back down the east shore of Lake Michigan. I had to give my truck driver a pick up date and I’d like to make my way towards Detroit as best I can by that date. And I have to drop my wife off in Mackinaw City on the 18th. Not complaining. Glad she finally came along for a trip!

Rob

Reactions: magicalbill

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Day 4.

Early Morning Departure from Manistique for a fairly long run to St. Ignace. Hugged to north coast as much as possible to stay out of shipping lanes.

For a small muni harbor, Manistique did a nice job on their marina. Nice facilities including showers, laundry, coffee pot and microwave.

Leaving Manistique.

1626141244826.jpeg

Heading into Sunrise and a slight east chop.

1626141355369.jpeg
1626141244826.jpeg
Bridge in sight. Leaving Lake Michigan.

1626141775240.jpeg

Mackinaw Bridge. Lake Huron in sight.

1626141843602.jpeg

Ending the day at St. Ignace Muni Marina.

1626143069414.jpeg

Walleyze

Reaction score
We are camping in Petoskey and have been checking out the marina's in the area. I think my wife is getting excited about some trips in or around the area in our newly acquired 208. The Great Lakes are truly a gem and worth exploring. I will be following this thread, and hope you two have a great trip.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Day 5. St. Ignace to Hessel through the Les Cheneux Islands.

It was a short run, but we made lengthened it by planning a longer route through the Les Cheneaux Islands.

Started out entering Mackinaw Straights:

1626178344874.jpeg

Approaching various islands:

1626178433537.jpeg

1626178484604.jpeg

1626178523747.jpeg

Getting more into the islands:

1626178619214.jpeg

1626178669579.jpeg

And the boating day ended at Hessel Marina. Couldn’t have been nicer people. The town pretty much closes on Monday. So they ran us 5 minutes over to the next town for lunch and a quick grocery stop.

But it was their entire demeanor, smiles, cheerfulness, positive attitude that makes me say they couldn’t have been nicer.
1626179106539.jpeg

Attachments

• 1626178447984.jpeg
    1626178447984.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Day 6.

T- storms forecast today. We were lucky enough to get a small cabin nearly across the street from the marina. So no boating today.

Head area has developed a small leak. Started smelling a bit. Poured dark blue chemical treatment and manually flushed. A thin dark blue streak flowed back down the hose that exists through fiberglass wall. Not a lot. Can hose it into shower sump. But getting to leak area means cutting, which I’m not prepared to do with what I have on this trip.

1626183810084.jpeg

Reactions: PointedRose

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Rob, you were running a Journey . Is this rig the Sailfish ? I didn't think the journey has a shower.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great report, thanks for sharing !

hopefully, I or we, will be doing the same thing at some point in the near future from South Portland, Maine.