Offshore readiness

fshnfool

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was reminded of this today again given the latest Grady white newsletter. For offshore trips they talk about having the proper spares and tools at the ready. I have heard this before but not seen specific recommendations. Anyone have a more specific list they carry on the boat for emergencies? Tool set with wrenches and screwdrivers is easy but what spare parts and specialty tools do people recommend? Or has someone seen a good article that references a list?

Gulffisher

Reaction score
Can't say that I have and I would assume such list would tend to be boat and user dependent. But as an example for 100 mile overnight trips on my 330, I keep extra fuses, enough wire to get from the battery to the other end of the boat and back a time or two, wire terminals, electr. tape, wire cutters, wire crimps, and jump-start battery. I have an extra ER bilge pump with about 6' of flex hose and about 6' of power leads with clamps. I have a qt or more motor oil and hydraulic fluid. I have combination wrenches in MM and SAE, phillips and flathead screwdrivers, cutting plier, channel-lock type plier, allen (hex) wrench collection in MM and SAE, and a hammer. I added a small bolt cutter many years back, not for repairs, but for cutting large treble hooks when lodged deeply in a fish and a hand at the same time! Way back before she died, I even kept spare belts and relays for the FP generator but I quickly decided I didn't need generator working to get home in an ER. I stopped trying to find corrosion-proof tools and instead toss and replace them periodically.

Reactions: Sdfish

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Do similar to Gulffisher. Also carry extra racor filter elements, and a strap wrench for them, a funnel. Should have something to dump fuel into from a Racor, but don't keep it on board full time. Bunch of oil absorbing rags, too. Having plugs for various hose sizes is a good idea as well. A nerf football can be a good thing for plugging a hole too. Taking the time to go over all your electronics connections and document which thing needs which fuse, and where they all are, is worth doing. Also ensure you have spares for all of them, plus ability to hardwire around an issue if needed.

Have backup GPS handheld, plus a bunch of different charging cords to ensure stuff can stay charged. Ditch bag has MRE's, water, etc. First aid kit.

The amount of stuff I carry on board and hope to never need more than fills my pickup bed.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It really depends on the boat and how far offshore you're going.

As above, in a 330 you can pretty much take an entire toolbox and everything you need for most repairs and not miss the space one bit. (hell I keep a shop vac in my cabin just to save me trips inside the house when I'm doing projects) In a 232 I'd probably carry a basic set of tools, jumper cables or a charged jump box, an oil filter, a fuel filter, and 6 quarts of oil. Of course what you'll want a whole lot more would be a handheld vhf with DSC, a PLB, etc.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'd add:
  • Spark plug
  • Tools to change spark plug
  • Hose clamps
  • Zip ties
  • Bees wax toilet ring
  • Duct tape
I wouldn't get too carried away IMO. You're trying to plan for an emergency, not do maintenance.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Duct Tape…..And Beer………The rest is just for showing off……

J/K….Above lists are good and cover about all you could possibly need……..I always carry a Noco jumper box as well…..

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Jump box, I have a spare prop and tools to swap out if needed, basic tool set, first aid kit, sat phone and epirb

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I carry similar tools, basic spare parts, filters as described above. I also have a ditch bag, epirb, plb. Plus a sea tow membership.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Look you know your boat and what is likely to go wrong. It's like going to the moon. You can't possible cover every scenario and bring every part or tool. Decide what is likely for your boat, make sure your EPIRB works and your SeaTow/BoatUS are current and go for it. Unlike a moon shot you do have a chance you can be rescued.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Just a side note boys, make sure you have a quality tool set. Those Harbor Freight tool sets might make you feel good, but if you ever have to use them you will be sorry, as they break with any resistance.
Be safe, have fun.

Reactions: Feedingfish

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A lot of above plus

jumper cables
hand held radio
manuals for electronics and other devices

Advised a neighbor to put together a tool kit after he had a serious on the water engine problem. He did and next time we were on the boat asked to see it. Oh he says its in the garage, I did not want the tools to rust. You cannot make this stuff up.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I was reminded of this today again given the latest Grady white newsletter. For offshore trips they talk about having the proper spares and tools at the ready. I have heard this before but not seen specific recommendations. Anyone have a more specific list they carry on the boat for emergencies? Tool set with wrenches and screwdrivers is easy but what spare parts and specialty tools do people recommend? Or has someone seen a good article that references a list?
I would also have a Ditch Bag with an EPIRB, handheld floating VHF radio. Whistle, Mirror and a floating Flashlight.

Reactions: ECO

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
While all the tools and parts have been covered, plan to bring a few days of all medications, contact lenses and cleaner (if used), extra pair of glasses, flashlights and extra batteries, (store the bottom battery reversed, neg to neg in the light), protein bars, and dry food packs, lots of drinking water, change of clothes including socks and underwear. space blanket, (its light weight) towels. Rain gear. If you don't have an EPIRB, get a personal one with GPS. A life raft is a bonus, but if not some flotation craft,(giant blowup swans don't count). A SAT messenger, or phone is a another plus. Actually, within 100 miles of shore you can be rescued and/or towed in within hours, the things that break are of lesser concern. MOB, fire, taking on water, medical emergencies, are all of greater concern. As prices come down you may even want to add an AED to the list. It is the medical and vessel damage incidents that concern me more, as seconds and minutes count. Having MOB drills, can save lives, knowing what to by repetitive training can make the difference between survival and disaster.

Reactions: Peter A

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Also, check your first aid kit to ensure that it contains a tourniquet. Some do not. You can always fashion one out of rope or belt, but a lot more difficult and less effective than using a premade one from a first aid kit.