offshore running with air condition on ???

chub2000

Reaction score
i own a 330 Express and i cant use my air condition while running in any type of choppy seas. She doesnt pull enough water into the system and it turns my air cond off. Has anyone installed a forward facing intake grate to pull more water into the system or are there any other solutions for this problem ?

thanks,
Brian

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Brian,

I haven't run into that problem with my 2007 330 express. I ran it most of the summer without any issues in some pretty rough conditions. May not be the intake design, but some other issue. I'd be checking the strainer and hoses. Maybe some blockage somewhere else in the system. The intake is far aft, is there some other protrusion such as a transducer in front of the intake that could disrupt the flow? Seems strange that you could get air back that far in a chop. Generator intake is also aft and we never have a problem with that either.

chub2000

Reaction score
my boat is a 2003, maybe they changed the desing in later years ? it does work fine at the dock or running in flat seas..she seems to suck air and that causes the unit to shut down.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did you check the intake strainer? Mine often gets grass in it and that could restrict flow. Also I'd check the water pump and make sure there isn't a fuse blown or the pump has failed.

chub2000

Reaction score
i checked it and it was clean..i replaced the pump last season and it is working correctly.

thank you for your suggestions

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'd call GW and ask them if they changed the intake scoop design after 2003 since our hulls should be indentical. Has this been a problem since you owned the boat, or has if come on over time? Since the pump sucks thru the strainer, an air leak on the hose/strainer leading to the pump could be an issue and surprisingly might not leak water but allow air to enter and cavitate the pump. I've seen stranger things with water suction systems. Also a clogged evaporator coil could restrict flow. Might try backwashing through the outflow with a hose. Good Luck!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was told not to run the generator while heading offshore or over a certain speed and that it could cause it to fail sooner. Anyone else hear this? We usually wait till we get to the trolling grounds before kicking on the generator and air condition.

Grandpapat

Reaction score
For comparison, on the GW360 the AC cooling water intake thru-hull has a scoop on it and the generator thru-hull is flush with the hull.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you should do a quick check with GW just to be safe. my '09 has a forward facing scoop for the a/c pickup. since the a/c is an open system, i would guess there are no real issues with forced water.

the genset, however, is a flat pancake intake. even with the pancake, they instruct not to leave the seacock open if you are running above planing speed AND have the genset off. i specifically asked the FP guys and they said it is fine to run the genset on plane; the keyword being "run".

if you already have a forward facing pickup for the a/c, you might want to check to see if it is clogged between the exterior and the strainer. barnacles are a bear around me.

good luck, ron

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The proper A/C input hull fitting will keep a pressure to the A/C pump as well as same it does for SW washdown/ livewell etc, if not it will suck water out of line al the way to A/C and the A/C pump I believe is not self priming and must be below water line mounted, but will still not self prime anyway and air has to be removed from intake side once it gets there.