OH!!what a difference correct tabs/steering can make (265Ex)

Salinity Now

Reaction score
HOLY COW!!!! after a really bad first long run on the 265, I was kinda worried about handling and lots of variables. Turns out it wasnt the boats fault, it was the systems associated with it!! Tabs were not working correctly, infact only one tab was working and only in one direction + the previous owner had the wires in a wierd custom configuration, so it wasnt doing what you would normally expect. Second, the steering was really easy to turn, I was thinking wow, this is great, so easy to spin!! All the while wondering why I was oversteering so much too, it may have been easy, but it was taking ALOT of turns to keep steady and not squirly, and lastly (note to self....check EVERYTHING on a "new to me boat") I ran out of gas and realized that the switch has some how been crossed over and AUX & MAIN indicators werent coiciding with the actual tank valve line ups.

SO, had to buy a new Bennett trim switch, easy fix, tabs work great and todays sea trail in 4-5 choppy seas went AWSOME for the boat, bled the steering out, boat didnt wander at all, stayed steady in all seas, head, beam, quatering & following, AND i didnt run out of gas!!!

Question to any SeaStar experts; now that I got a notible amount of air out of the lines, the steering is much tighter (harder) but still manageable, is that normal? (its about ehhhhh15% stiffer than my previous F250 (single engine was) but that was a new boat).

Tested my SIMRAD Autopilot, no joy, tracked it down to my rudder (seastar position) indicator being no good, as well as the indicator junction box being full of water, go figure. It was so freaking cool though, the pump and ability to turn the motors with the control head works, never had that before, Im shopping new parts now.

Tried to "clean & preserve" my stuck Yamaha trim indicators, no joy, need to order new ones from SIM.

Pulled off and inspected my stbd 02 Sensor, clean and in great shape, hadnt gotten to the port yet, but Im suspecting a more clogged/dirty sensor there, as the port motor seems to smoke and use more oil than the stbd SX250.

Still miss my 4strokes, and better fuel mileage, today I ran 13miles and burned 12gal of gas!!! (granted alot of that was dockside idling and running into some really rough seas, but still....1mpg....wheew, thats tough!!!)

Really enjoyed the ride today though, ALL my fears of ride quality are gone now, just need to get some new parts, keep freshening up and really tune the boat in for me.

WestMarine is having an AWSOME local sale next week, I can get a C120W, 4kwRadar & DSM30 for $4,145, thats the best price Ive seen in 3months of searching, trying to convince the wife as we speak!!!

Today, I am VERY proud to be a GW owner!!!!