oil filter blockage 200 hpdi's

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was out cruising the Coral Sea today, heading for some new grounds about 2 hrs out at 28 knots.
We had been running for just over an hour when the low oil alarm came on and the revs died (as they should) Luckily weather was perfect so no need to panic just get the manual out and did some research.
As the engine was not overheating next suggestion was try the oil filter. The reservoir on the motor was on the low mark; but the oil tank was half full.
Checked the filter on the motor it appeared fine. Found the little filter at the base of the oil tank pulled it and it looked ok also ........blew thru it both ways.....no probs. Topped up the reservoir on the motor and while the rear hatch (265 express) was off ,pulled the electrical connections on what I think is a small pump on the side of the oil tank ? sprayed the connections and reassembled.
We then trolled for an hour ....towards home ......and then cruised home for an hour with no sign of problems. When we got home I checked the oil reservoir and it was at the full mark(as it should be )
Anybody had this happen or any suggestions before I take it into the shop? Thanks in anticipation......needless to say we didn't get to fish the new grounds!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good thing your alarm worked.

The pump on the boat tank (outboard tank) is a transfer pump to pump oil to the inboard tank (under cowl tank). It turns on and off based on two levels from a sensor in the inboard oil tank.

You need to have this now intermittant problem professionally evaluated, since it happened once, it will happen again, you can count on it. No that's it's working, is actually not good since troubleshooting will reveal nothing wrong.

The oil system is critical and will fail the engine catastrophically in a blick of an eye without so much as a cough.

The alarm working saved you $7,000 and 2 - 3 weeks out of water.

The Yamaha mechanics have expereince and will know where to look and what to replace so it doesn't happen again, or else THEY will be liable.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
are u using yamilube?

the filters on the back of the tank need replacement every year, u can not clean them

you are also supposed to drain the system every year and refill with fresh oil

i have had this happen once on my Grady, when i went with penzoil
it gelled up

u know about the oil pump emergency switch right

if not READ THE OWNERS MANUAL

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes I found the emergency pump switch but that did not appear to do anything. That is i could hear an electric motor but if it was filling it was verrry slow. I am thinking it was either the filter or maybe the pump. However as the reservoir on the motor was full when I got home it was obviously pumping.
I did not know about changing those filters out and interestingly I have been using Valvoline 2 stroke oil. My dealer didn't seem to have a preference. Maybe it's time to start sticking to the Yammie stuff.
Do you know if the pumps on the tanks are serviceable? Also is there a pump on the motor?
As i also sprayed the eleectrical connections without checking the current first it could have just been a poor connection. I will get the shop guys to check it but just want to have a heads up on what to look for. Thanks for the advice it's all good and i certainly don't want those babies to go without their daily allowance of oil. It could stunt their growth. Man they are certainly powerful 200"s

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
i recommend yami lube
mos of the other oils i have used gels up over the winter

yami switch oil companies this year, they went to spectrum oil in TN

yes pump on remote (boat) tank only, with a filter on the back
then u have a filter on the engine tank

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. i have been on a couple of other forums gathering info. My yamaha dealers mechanic didn't seem to think the pumps ever have a problem. One forum suggested always look for the low tech probs as they are more likely to fail than the high tech. Anyway it would appear that it is the small filter on the remote tank. I pulled both tanks today and emptied both. There was a white gelly or rubbery compound in the bottom of both; not much but it would easily clog the fine oil filters i think.

Will fit new filters and reinstall tanks , also had to replace one cradle as the bottom was nearly rusted thru.The whole job is actually quite simple at home, but not something you want to do at sea.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice my local yammie dealers aren't as thorough as you guys. I have read a little about the vst I think and the o2 sensor are these something i can do and what do they do?

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
jekyl said:
Thanks for the great advice my local yammie dealers aren't as thorough as you guys. I have read a little about the vst I think and the o2 sensor are these something i can do and what do they do?

well most dealer have no clue on what to do
no trained techs, crappy pay, etc

the o2 sensor us just clean it
vst you just clean the screen