oil in bottom end

thunder3535

Reaction score
Hey guys, winterizing my boat and went to put fresh oil in the bottom end. It looked new so I didnt change it. I know if it is milky white, there is water in it but this oil looked good. Should I just change it anyway just in case or is that a waste of time and oil. It does get pretty cold here and I dont want to risk there being water in there.
Thanks

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As lubricants get hot during operation, acids will accumulate over time. So it's always a good idea to change the lower unit lube before winterizing. That protects against corrosion as well as potential freeze damage from water contamination.

You should also change the oil on a 4 stroke and run it just long enough to get the fresh oil circulated before laying the boat up. The reason for this is the same: corrosion protection.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm If the fluid wasn't milky (motor used recently) and no water came out first when you cracked the plug, then you don't have any water. What does your manufacturer say about frequency of change? I'll bet it's at least annually, and it's pretty cheap when you do it yourself ...

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My opinion? Change the oil anyway, then you don't have to worry about. Besides, you can get rid of any metal shavings. Also, you would replace those little red gaskets on the fill and drain plugs. What's a quart of oil cost when you consider your piece of mind? Lower units are costly!!!

Hey, can you get your fellow countrymen to start playing hockey this year? Jeez, sick of the Philadelphia Eagles already, need some new sports to watch!!