Oil Leak F200

timberxx

Reaction score
I have a 2004 F200 with 129 hours. This weekend in the heat (80 degrees) I noticed a little engine oil on my skeg.

My motor was not trimmed at that point, and I didn't see any overflowing oil under the cowling.

When I checked the oil cool it was way over the oil limit, but cool it was at about 75%.

Is a small oil leak right with these 4 strokes?

I will put a towel under my lower unit an see how much oil I collect in a few days to determine the scope.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had an oil leak just like yours. The dealer changed the oil but overfilled the engine or did not drain all the old oil. It also could be "making oil" because of a faulty thermostat or improper break in. I think it would have to make a tremendous amount of oil to get to a point where it leaks out.

timberxx

Reaction score
Grady_Crazy said:
I had an oil leak just like yours. The dealer changed the oil but overfilled the engine or did not drain all the old oil. It also could be "making oil" because of a faulty thermostat or improper break in. I think it would have to make a tremendous amount of oil to get to a point where it leaks out.

How was your leak fixed? Or did it go away on its own?

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My only problem was it had too much oil because the dealer did not drain out all the old oil when they changed it. After draining engine and refilling I never had a problem. When I was having this problem I did a lot of research. other causes are:

Improper break in allowing gas to bypass the rings and get into the oil.
Faulty thermostat causing the engine to not get hot enough to burn off the gas in the oil. A lot of trolling in cold weather, same issues.

timberxx

Reaction score
So here is my plan. I am going to monitor the oil amount from the dipstick measuring it after every trip. If I notice the oil is increasing I will try ringfree and decarb, and see what happens.

I don't understand why the cool oil is so high (over the max) on the dipstick, but the warm oil is 1/4 down from the max level.

no problem

Reaction score
As the engine cools, all the oil slowly drains to the bottom and reads higher on the dipstick. When you just turn off the engine the warm oil is dispersed throughout the engine leaving less in the bottom of your engine. leaving a lower reading on your dipstick.

timberxx

Reaction score
no problem said:
As the engine cools, all the oil slowly drains to the bottom and reads higher on the dipstick. When you just turn off the engine the warm oil is dispersed throughout the engine leaving less in the bottom of your engine. leaving a lower reading on your dipstick.

That makes alot of sense. thanks,