Oil Leak, Yamaha 250 4-stroke

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found some oil in the motor well of my 283 Release. Less than a cup, but it leaked from the hole in the motor cover where the electrical cables and fuel hose enter the engine. This happened when I fully raised the engine and left it this way for a day. I first noticed the condition yesterday. I'm sure it's not coming from the steering and I think that the tilting hydraulics would not leak in this area.

I removed the engine cover and could not find any oil puddling nor can I see where it is leaking. Checked the oil and it is almost full (down about 1/4 of the way from full to add). No signs of water in the oil and it looks clean. I have about 30 hours left before a scheduled oil change.

Any suggestions?

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had that once and the tech told me that sometimes it can come from the dipstick area while the engine is tilted up and to the starboard. Told me to turn it to port before tilting it up. I kind of doubted it but did as he suggested. Never had an issue again. Hope it's that easy for you.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I second the dipstick as the possible cause. Make sure they are fully seated and that the rubber seal on the dipsticks are in good condition.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It looks like you guys might be right, my dealer called me back last night and the first question he asked is "were the motors up all the way and were they turned hard to one side"? Both questions were affirmative and he thinks it is the dip-stick. He advised not to bring it in (yea) and to watch the level of oil closely until my annual service.

According to him, since my boat stays on a lift most of the time he doesn't think I need to lift the motors when they are in the water for a few days, or if I do, not all the way up and/or turned to one side.

I'm going to follow his advice and watch the oil level for the next few trips.

Thanks for you help. If anything turns up differently I will re-post.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the problem persists you may want to remove the cowling and pack the bottom of the motor well with those white absorbent pads. At least this way you will see the general area that any leaks are originating from before they pool and run out the front.