Oil problem with Yamaha 175

amcdonal

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Yamaha 175 with 137 hours mounted on a 1995 Grady White Overnighter. An alarm went off while I was trolling. The water intakes were clear, so I ruled out an engine overheat problem.

The small oil reserve tank was empty. I tried the emergency fill switch, but the tank did not fill. I took off the cap and moved the slider on the oil gauge and the alarm shut off. I filled the tank manually and the engine ran fine for 30 minutes until the alarm sounded again. The reserve tank was empty again.

Is there an oil filter or pump I should be checking on the sub oil tank in the boat?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There's a filter and a pump attached to the (large) tank. Take it out and check for clogs.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yep, I 2nd Grog's advice. Same thing happened to us a couple years ago. We had to replace the filter on the pump on the main (large) tank.

With the engine off and ignition on, you should be able to hear the pump on the main tank trying to pump oil into the small tank under the cowling if you haven't filled it back up manually after the alarm went off the 2nd time. If you can hear the pump, then I'd say clogged filter.

whaler1777

Reaction score
how about this, I am having the same problem on my 1990 150hp.... The tank wont refill itself automatically but if i flip the switch it fills up.. Is there a sending unit of some kind that tells that pump that the tank is low??

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
whaler1777 said:
how about this, I am having the same problem on my 1990 150hp.... The tank wont refill itself automatically but if i flip the switch it fills up.. Is there a sending unit of some kind that tells that pump that the tank is low??
yes

the one on the engine tells the one on the boat to pump

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Could be the oil pump itself failed? I have a 2000 272 and replaced one oil pump last year (it failed) and the other one this year (mostly as a precaution since we fish offshore). They are mounted on the side of the oil reservoir underneath the livewell. Not sure if you have the same set up but thought I’d mention just in case.

seasick

Reaction score
If the manual switch fills the tank, the pump is good and the filter is not clogged. Something in the sensors is out of whack

Barlow46

Reaction score
amcdonal said:
I have a 1993 Yamaha 175 with 137 hours mounted on a 1995 Grady White Overnighter. An alarm went off while I was trolling. The water intakes were clear, so I ruled out an engine overheat problem.

The small oil reserve tank was empty. I tried the emergency fill switch, but the tank did not fill. I took off the cap and moved the slider on the oil gauge and the alarm shut off. I filled the tank manually and the engine ran fine for 30 minutes until the alarm sounded again. The reserve tank was empty again.

Is there an oil filter or pump I should be checking on the sub oil tank in the boat?
Thirty minutes seems like a short amount of time for the engine tank to run dry if you filled it up. When you moved the slider did you notice the black "float" on the slider. I once found mine in the bottom of the tank. When your engine mounted tank is empty or below the fill line, turn on the key (don't start the engine) and see if you can hear the remote oil tank pump running. I think on engines pre 96 or so you can activate the remote oil fill in this manner. Check your trim sensor mounted on the tilt rod just under your engine and make sure it is working. If it is broken off and the engine thinks it is tilted up, the oil won't transfer. Your tach gauge should show if tilt/trim is working. Also, ask Just-In-Time to email you the procedure for checking your system.