Oil Pump failiure 1998 Yahama Saltwater Series 2 Stroke

striped bass

Reaction score
Oil pump alert came on today. Oil tank was full. The reservoir container attached to the engine was at the warning level which triggered the alert. I manually toggled up the switch next to the oil container on the engine and the oil pump came on and filled up the oil reservoir container. Ran the engine again and the oil level in the container went down without being refreshed by the oil pump. Can anyone explain why the engine toggle switch turns on the oil pump but the normal engine functioning does not turn on the oil pump? I will call Yamaha Monday morning, but I was hoping to get a jump on the issue?

catch22

Reaction score
The manual switch over rides, (bypasses) the float switch in the motor tank. Either your float switch is bad, or you might have a bad connection on the harness from the motor tank.
Or.... it might be working, but just not good enough to keep the motor tank high enough while running at high rpm's. Drain your motor tank down, turn your ignition switch to "on, and listen around the remote tank to see if you can hear the pump running. There is a filter, on the outside of the remote tank, around the bottom, where the hose is connected. They get clogged from the gummy oil residue in the bottom of the remote tank. Check/replace that filter, and clean out your remote tank.
If the pump is not running, chances are it's the float switch in the motor tank.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The trim/tilt switch may be stuck in the 'up' position (or it may be bad). If the sensor tells the motor that it is "up", the oil pump will not refill the reservoir. Check your trim/tilt indicator on the gauge, and see if the sensor moves freelyby hand. It's on the motor mounting bracket.

striped bass

Reaction score
Great advice. Thank you. I took the Grady to the boat yard this afternoon so they can jump right on it tomorrow morning. Your advice will help them zero in on the problem. Last week the yard mechanic tried to fix the console trim motor indicator which has been stuck on the "up" position for quite some time. One possibility is that he has the plastic ring back by the trim motor stuck in the "up" position thereby shutting down the oil pump. I'll let you know the final resolution.
Just-in-time, do you have the troubleshooting guide in digital format or hard copy?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
striped bass said:
Great advice... Last week the yard mechanic tried to fix the console trim motor indicator which has been stuck on the "up" position for quite some time.

Trim indicator being "stuck" and oil reservoir not being filled are symptoms of that plastic sensor arm sticking in the "up" position. You could probably clean that sensor, of salt and dirt, and check if you can move it freely. It is spring loaded to go to down position when the engine is trimmed down.

If it has to be replaced (something like $75 for the part), you could buy it from a Yamaha parts dept at your local dealer, or order it from Andy, at SIM, and have it in a few days. It is simple to change; a couple of screws and it unplugs from a connector.

Let us know how it goes?

striped bass

Reaction score
I called Yamaha this morning and they think that the 1998 OX 66 oil pump was not shut off automatically when the engine was "up". Yamaha had to check their records to be sure so the jury is still out on this one. Yahama will call me back tomorrow. The yard mechanic pulled the float from the reservoir tank (with the ignition turned to "on") so that the float was at the bottom which would trigger the oil pump. The pump did not activate. The manual over ride toggle still activates the oil pump. The yard mechanic is leaning toward a new float switch. Yamaha's feedback tomorrow on the OX 66 "up" and "down" connection to the oil pump will help point to the final answer.
Stay tuned.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a pair of '98 OX66, and I'm pretty sure that the oil pump refill is interrupted in the trimmed-up position. I also repaired a friends 1990 150's (pre-ox66), and that was the problem on one of his engines, so make sure that the tilt sensor is working before you agree to buy a float.

Didn't you also tell us that your trim-tilt gauge wasn't working? Hmmm....

striped bass

Reaction score
Capt Bill - you are exactly right. The read out gauge on the console still shows the engine in the "up" position. The spring mechanism on the engine was lubricated and freed up so that it works in sync with the engine. So now I have a working tilt mechanism but the gauge does not register the engine position. Your suggestion is still very much in play until this riddle is solved. No float will be purchased until this riddle is solved.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
if u email me u will get the description in lay-man tearms
i could try 2 explain it here but will loose most of u
by far yami has the best system on the market

striped bass

Reaction score
Problem solved. Just in Time, thank you for the Marine Technical Guide which was the key to debugging the problem. The problem was in the remote oil tank, not the engine oil reservoir tank. The yard mechanic took out the remote oil tank float sensor, cleaned it and replaced it. He also detached the remote oil tank wiring and re-attached. Bingo! the reservoir tank pump was functional and the console read out showed the proper oil level in the remote tank. The Technical Guide was the key to solving the problem.
Regarding the motor trim sender, the Technical Guide states that starting in 1996 the Yamaha SMART system eliminated the need for motor trim sender information in the oil control unit. The SMART system allows oil transfer only when the engine is running. This eliminated problems such as oil transfer due to extended key on/engine off.
BTW, I doubt that most marine yards without a certified Yamaha mechanic could quickly fix a fuel problem on a four stroke. The quick fix on my OX 66 by the yard mechanic is a vote in my humble opinion for 2 stroke Yahama engines. The certified Yamaha technician in another yard five miles away was backed up for two weeks on his engine work orders.
Thanks, again, for your help. This is a great web site for Grady White owners.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
most techs do not have that guide!!!
i got through my training and saved it, just like the rest of my school notes!
sometimes u never know when u need it
i still use it today!!!

you should have replaced the filter in the remote tank also while he was in there, but just make not of it next time 8)