OIL PUMP PROBLEMS 1999 ox66's

alpumpdup

Reaction score
Have 1999 225 ox66's that won't pump oil...replaced one oil pump motor which didn't work and tested the other and it is fine...resevoir alarms go off when oil reaches the refill line in the resevoirs under the cowlings...toggle switch on port motor will activate the pump and refill the starboard toggle won't work....I don't know how to check if the floats activate the filler motors...was told that trim/tilt has a switch so when tilted the pumps don't activate...can't locate....is there a master control somewhere...any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks...oh yea i checked all connections for green....all look ok

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You are correct about the trim-tilt. The TT sensor is located on the engine mounting bracket, starboard side of the engine, near the tilt tube. It is a black plastic device with a spring-loaded arm extending from it, that is moved when the engine is tilted up or down.

Does you trim-tilt indicator on your Yamaha gauge change when you tilt the engine?

That is where I would start looking. I see you are in Lewes. If you can't find it, give me a shout.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
oil pumps

first, I would highly recommend NOT waiting until the buzzer goes off and you have low oil under the cowling. Once the low oil buzzer goes off, it needs to be primed again. The system is designed so that when you run low on oil, the buzzer goes off and the engine "governor" kicks in keeping the RPM's under 1000 so you don't torch your block.
The oil is the life blood of your engine-keep it topped off.

whitey

Reaction score
if the alarm goes off,the oil system does not need to be primed.the alarm means the resevoir is low,hence the alarm.i had a similar problem with one of my engines earlier this spring,it turned out to be a bad ground in the harness.took the guy a few mins to find the problem.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
oil

whitey, you are correct. I oversimplified my response. The buzzer is a warning. IF you continue to drive after the buzzer goes off the governor will kick in reducing rpm's so you can limp home. The warning/buzzer system may have changed since by buddy did it ('96 250 SWS).

alpumpdup

Reaction score
oil pump

Whitey....where was that ground located?...I have looked at all connections and they seem good.....used electrical cleaner...possibly it is a ground problem
thx

whitey

Reaction score
Re: oil pump

alpumpdup said:
Whitey....where was that ground located?...I have looked at all connections and they seem good.....used electrical cleaner...possibly it is a ground problem
thx

my boat's serviced by jimmy's marine service,he would be the man to ask.he found the problem in about 10mins,no problems since.if you're in new jersey,give him a call.