Oil Pump problems on a Yamaha

Double Eagle

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!! I set out today to check wires and the first ones that I checked were bad!!! Checked the wiring from the boat oil tank to the motor. Found that the black lead from the float was open. The bad spot was in the tubing between the boat and the motor where the wires run, it actually had water in the tubing. The wire corroded and swelled up twice its size. There was plenty of extra wire in the boat so I pulled about four feet out and soldered the plug on the end and heat shrank it. Should probably slit that tubing so it doesn't hold water. So if you have that type of tubing on your motor check it out to make sure it isn't holding water!! After repairing the wires I pulled the boat out of the barn put the muffs on and started it. Then I watched as the oil tank filled it self up. Need less to say I was a happy camper!!!!

Double Eagle

Reaction score
What did I learn?

Don't assume anything. Just because the rest of my wiring looked good it was what you couldn't see that had a problem. I had already checked my floats and I knew that the oil pump would run and the filter and check valve were replaced. All that was left was to trace the wiring to make sure there were no breaks. I was lucky in that the very first bunch of wires that I was going to test was the bad spot in the wiring. I couldn't believe that when I took that plug apart and checked continuity it was open and no continuity. I then checked each wire to the float in the boat tank and found it was the black wire. I did see in the start of the hose that all the wires went through that the cover on the wire was bunched up and wrinkled. I took my razer knife and cut the outside cover of the wiring and started looking at the black wire. Looked OK until I started pulling on it and it felt like a rubber band and I broke it. As I looked at where it broke I could see that it was corroded. I just couldn't believe it and would of never expected to see that. I pulled four feet of wire back to the motor and seen all four wires swelled up twice their size. I cut them and all I could see was green, next to go would be the oil pump wires. Went back past the bad spot and cut the wires to see good copper. Solder the plug back on and heat shrank each wire. Should be good as new.

What helped me the most?

This forum was a big help!! I have to thank all that had ideas and shared their experiences. Next was Dane's Marine, he was nice enough to give me ideas and things to check. That's more than I can say for Marina's up around Lake Erie area. Also getting a service manual helps a lot and has the wiring diagrams. Sometimes they don't have every thing in them. I just got done ordering a second manual a couple of days ago. My job has also helped me as I and a welder, generator tech. I can read wiring diag. and run a meter. Also working in the construction field I have learned a lot on trouble shooting and repairing bad wiring the right way to last. Listing to guys on here I have also picked up advice on electrical greases and other products that I have passed on to our company. Here is one that I will pass on to you and we think a lot of it and use it daily. It is called Fluid Film!! Look it up on the internet and try it. We buy ours at NAPA by the case in spray cans and it also comes in gallons. I spray it on electrical connections and use it as a rust preventive and lube. It has a million uses!! Enjoy and thanks to all of you Rod Graser Service tech at Kokosing Construction .Biz Owners of Droucher Marine.

Double Eagle

Reaction score
Today I decided to cut the tubing off that all of the wiring, cables and hoses run threw from the motor to the boat sense it had water holding in it. Wanted to inspect the rest of the wiring and to make sure that hose will never hold water again. I found an other bunch of six wires that were swelled up and bad. This time I'm not so lucky as there is no slack to pull any wire back. So I will have to splice a piece of wire in. Splices will be in the motor area and inside the boat. I think these wires go to my tach area and is probably why my warning lights and my trim indicator don't read properly.