oil stain at water line

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
Last year I started keeping my boat on the lake in a covered slip. Here in the Smoky Mountains you can still see decades old 2 strokes hung on boats. Some joker clearly spilled a fair amount of 2 stroke oil in the water near my boat and it stained my hull at the water line with a wavy light blue pattern. I used products from black streak remover to hull cleaner to elbow grease and you can still see a light blue stain in places. The boat is in the water now and I am wondering if there is anything out there to remove oil stains from gel coat?

nascarjonb

Reaction score
I have had the same issue on my old boat (77 sea ray center console) I used a magic eraser first and if that did not take all of it out I used a bit of rubbing compound and allot of elbow grease. I think it will be a bit harder to get out as gradys tend to be white compared to a yellow Sea Ray but I think it would still work. I hope to not have that on my spirit i just bought any time soon!

mboyatt

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me on Jordan lake in the Durham/Chapel Hill area. But I have an old looper as well - 1994 Evinrude Ocean Pro, V6 200hp. I never spill oil when putting oil in my reservoir at the stern though. Anyway, I hit mine with a whole lot of acetone and elbow grease, making sure I had plenty of clean rags on hand. Got the bag of rags from Home Depot. I then hit it with Dawn dish soap, really heavy on the soap. Then back to acetone. Finally I compounded and waxed. I got hit on the entire starboard side and transom as well. Took me well over a day to fix. I was really paranoid going back out to Jordan lake, but I have been several times and it has not happened again. I wonder if the guy decarbed his motor or something and ran it at the dock. I never do that because the gunk that comes out of the exhaust hub is amazing. I always do this on a hose and wait for the fire department to get called. :twisted: Sorry to hear you got mucked up.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Try either Y-10 or Davis FSR. Both are a thick, gel, stain removers - brush them on, let it set, rinse off. They penetrate the gelcoat to pull out stains.

ahill

Reaction score
Once in a while I tie up in a small harbor that has a lot of boats running diesel generators and get a black scum at the waterline.
I've found that the cheap degreaser in a black jug sold at Home Depot takes it right off.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
either use 3M heavy duty rubbing compound on a rag/polishing machine, or put some on a brush, wet it and scrub. Compund take most anything off. You can try that or on/off, or boat magic. Both are types of acid used on hulls to remove the stain left from the water line.