Oil transfer pump 95 Yamaha 200

capt1947

Reaction score
While running yesterday, my low oil warning buzzer went off. Found the oil reservoir was below the minimum. Glad the sensor and alarm work. My question is this.
I shut the engine off then turned the key to on. This should activate the transfer pump, I believe. Nothing happened,no motor pump sound from the aux oil tank. I had to add oil manually into the main tank.By the way,where is the emergency transfer switch located? Alarm resolved. I would like to determine if it is the transfer pump or could it be other electrical issues? Could air in the oil lines contribute to the problem?
I have a Clymer shop manual for the motor but it doesn't say anything regarding this issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, capt1947

seasick

Reaction score
capt1947 said:
While running yesterday, my low oil warning buzzer went off. Found the oil reservoir was below the minimum. Glad the sensor and alarm work. My question is this.
I shut the engine off then turned the key to on. This should activate the transfer pump, I believe. Nothing happened,no motor pump sound from the aux oil tank. I had to add oil manually into the main tank.By the way,where is the emergency transfer switch located? Alarm resolved. I would like to determine if it is the transfer pump or could it be other electrical issues? Could air in the oil lines contribute to the problem?
I have a Clymer shop manual for the motor but it doesn't say anything regarding this issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, capt1947
The emergency transfer switch is a toggle switch with a rubber cover usually. On mine it it on the back of the motor near the ecu or on the middle of it.
This switch bypasses all sensors so if when pressed, the motor does pump doesn't run, then you have a bad pump (happens) a bad connection ( happens a lot) or a broken wire in the harness between the remote tanks and the motor (usually at the grommet opening ( happens sometimes).
Of course you need to check that you have +12 going to the motor. That should always be present when the ignition is on. The logic and override switch make the ground connection.
Ig you hear the pump but the main tanks doesn't fill or fills slowly, you may have a clogged filter. That is located on the back of the remote tank. Of course the tank itself could have sludge in it.
If the override switch fills the main tank but it doesn't fill in normal mode, you probably have a bad main tank sensor or a bad connection. The main tank sensor has three signals, full, somewhat full and low. The low signal triggers the alarm. The middle signal causes the pump t run and the high signal stops the pump.
If the remote tank sensor is bad and thinks that the tank is just about empty, the pump wont turn on. Both those sensors can be tested with an ohm meter.

Good luck and Happy Holidays

capt1947

Reaction score
Merry Christmas, Seasick,
Thanks for your information and tips. I will let you know how I make out. This is the first outboard for me in a long time. I do appreciate your knowledge.

Thanks again,
Capt1947