Oil Warning Alarm while trolling

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Salt Water Series 225 and was starting to troll yesterday and within 5 minutes had the oil light go on. Had just added oil so knew it wasn';t low. When I increased throttle to 3000 rpm the warning alarm went off but went on every time I was at low throttle although never went off at idle. Any ideas?

Thanks

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Sounds like oil pump is not moving enough oil or low pressure at idle. Could also be the sensor. Obviously check it out and report back.

seasick

Reaction score
Do you have command link gauges? If so, what alarm (symbol) was displayed.
If not Command Link, what color was the alarm? There are only three alarm states for oil in the saltwater series and one condition will cause the motor to switch to safe mode so you have one of the other two.
I need more info.
Are you sure it wasnt a temp alarm?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like an oil issue. There's 2 oil pumps, 1 is driven off the motor and the only way you know if it's not pumping enough is the motor siezes, the other is in the remote tank and is electrically driven off the float on the tank by the motor. The only possible cause would be if at idle you don't have enough volts to drive the pump fast enough but you're using very little oil at idle and you would see other issues from the low voltage.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm really new at this so bear with me. I think it was the oil and not temp because there looked to be a little dipstick on the flashing icon. The alarm was audible, not a color. The gauges are original to the 1995 Grady. I don't think it was overheating. the impeller was just changed and I had water flowing through the engine. From the questions you're asking me it sounds as if I should get it check out by someone who knows what they're doing. Keep any replies coming though as I'm trying to learn (just don't want to do it the hard way--$).

thanks

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There should be a small oil tank under the cowling. Check to make sure the tank is full. There should also be two lines on the tank-a high level and low level. Once the oil hits the low level line the alarm will sound thats activated by a float switch in the small oil tank. If you find the oil level at the bottom line first thing I would check is the small inline oil filter behind the larger on boat oil tank. That has been known to limit oil flow to the under cowling tank.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree on that test but also try the manual oil fill override switch on the motor. If the primary oil tank ( on the motor) is low, try holding down the manual switch. Ignition must be on but engine not running. You should be able to hear the oil pump in the secondary tank (in the bilge) and the tank on the engine should fill up. If it does, you have a sender issue on the main tank, a bad connection or a bad controller.
If you hear the pump working but the tank doesn't fill up, you probably have a clogged line or pump. The screen(filter) is the more likely cause.
If you don't hear the pump, you have a wiring problem or a bad pump.
Since it seems that you get oil when you rev up, the only thing that changes is the voltage out of the alternator. That could make the pump run harder which might also indicate a clog. Note that if you get the alarm while trolling, shut the motor and remove the cowling to see if the tank is empty ( well almost empty) If not and you have the alarm, it could be a bad sensor or wiring.