OK to mount a Raft on Hard Top?

HMBJack

Reaction score
I own a 330 Express and recall GW suggesting NOT to do this as it could break a weld.

Most life rafts weigh between 80 and 110 pounds with the cradle and I'm thinking it best not to put the weight up there but then the thing would be in the way everywhere else I can think of.

Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I think GW has a point with regard to the weight loading on the hard top.

I would suggest you also consider these factors:

1. How much of your radar arc is going to be blocked by the raft? or are you going to raise your radar all the way above it? (please post a photo).

2. Grady-White boats do not float upright and the cabin boats will almost certainly capsize. If your raft is on the hard top, in a cradle with a hydro-static release, then you will likely need to swim down there to manually release it.

JMHO,
Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor and Sail, 1600-Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited
US Navy Senior Offshore Sailing Instructor
Commander, US Navy (Retired)

HMBJack

Reaction score
Good points on the radar arch.

I also heard from GW that it is not recommended to mount rafts on the hard top due them possibly breaking the frame.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Not ideal, but I'd consider on the bow between the hatches. Having seen many capsized outboards in my previous life, (CG Aviator) the bow is always higher and the stern sinks. Some boats float nearly vertical, stern down. It might depend on how much fuel and water is aft versus empty tanks. The bottom of a slick bow is hard to hang onto. Bow thruster might help, but I've never seen one capsized. If the raft didn't auto-release it would be shallower to access than on the hard top or in the stern area. With all the fuel and water aft, the longitudinal CG shouldn't move too far forward. Also the extra weight on the hardtop might increase the rolling tendency and make it uncomfortable in a beam sea. Probably would be fine up top, but you'd have a hard time getting warranty if the frames develop cracks down the road.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Why not on a valise type? Take it on the boat when ever you need it, keep it on the cockpit while underway/cruising, put it on the bench seat while fishing. That is what i did/do.
I was told by Grady i can't put an open array on the 330 and on the 336.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I struggled with this as well and eventually went with the valise. Keep it in the aft cablin. Less than ideal.
I wasn't going to put it on the bow.