Okay, need a shakedown list

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Allright my fine Grady friends!

If you were taking the boat out for the first time, what would be your shakedown list?

I have a few sets of keys to what appears to be the gas caps.. lol

1 - Can anyone tell me about the toilet? I will post a picture. I honestly am going to google the brand etc and see if they have a video of how it operates. Don't laugh.. it's a crappy way to do it.. (lol.. that is for @Bloodweiser )...but never had more than a bucket in the past.. well, except the Navy. I have the manual.. will be reading it, but experience is the best teacher.

2 - Fresh water tanks? Anything to keep in mind?

3 - I have to run as much of this gas out as I can. It has been full of ethanol-free gas and I have added gas treatment, but not going far till I run it out and then have it cleaned. Cheaper to clean it than to break down. I already have new gas filters, taking them just in case.

4 - The valves. I have not touched them other than to spray them with WD-40 and make sure they move. The aft ones are stiff but work, the rest worked fine. Does anyone have a checklist of "make ture this valve is open and that one is closed etc?

Just looking to draw any experience with this boat you all have... so I get the most out of a shakedown cruise. Not going far or hard, just want to try to hit as much as possible on the checklist.

Have fun schooling me.. I am all ears.. ok, eyes.. it's a forum lol

R

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
make sure you install the brass drain plug ;).. No list exactly...No music either dont play any..you need to learn the sounds of your boat. .. start ez and feel it out slow. stop periodically and visually look at your bilge for water, bring a flash light. I never use my toilet, too much trouble, when i return to dock, i want to either fillet fish or head home, not pump out the head. I have a 3 hour drive. thats my deal though. run the boat as much as possible while checking the gauges for warnings, but dont rely on them soley, viusally check things out until you have confidence that they are working correctly. Do a radio check ch.24,26,26,27,28 , 84?

enjoy the day,, obviously more you can do., others will give some things too Im sure.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have not even looked at the toilet for fear the holding tank is not cleaned out, so... may need to fill it with water and clorox and let it sit, then flush it out. I have the manual, but looks like it is the wrong one. This is for a manual flush. They either upgraded and did not get that manual, or got the wrong one. Will research it so I know what to look for.

I have multiple plugs, lol.. so, backups to the backups, and always carry a flashlight, so good points all. Not worried about the music. I am like you, I want to hear the boat, not blaring music. Stereo is for at the dock while relaxing.

Thanks Blood!

R

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I should figure out how the emaciator work on the toilet, I looked at once, and read the manual on it..just never needed it, a bucket works always has, I dont do overnighters on the ocean, maybe if I did It would be a priority to figure out.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's going to be a crazy weekend...holiday doesn't help and the ongoing relaxation of stay at home orders has made the waterways around here crazy.

If you can get to the ramp early then you can have a little more time without folks honking at you.

Get everything ready out of the way before you get in line.

Once it's running and off the trailer, idle away from the dock and give yourself time to get comfortable with everything.

I've never wanted to clean or pump a toilet, so I'd put that further down the list.

Have fun.....glad to see you finally will be hitting the water.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I get the whole ramp thing, done it a thousand times. I meant a checklist specific to this boat.

I looked at the toilet. It is an electric conversion and so.. watched a video on it, looks simple enough. My concern was not knowing how the holding tank was. So, I will need to get out far enough to open that up and let it flush. I see the inlet and outlet valves, and have the diagram for it, so looks like an easy test. I can then let it flush whatever may have been left in THEN fill it with bleach. Not worried about using it, worried about not knowing IF it had been used and was working the first time I take my wife out heh. So, wanted to check it when I went out.

So, nothing major to look for outside of the obvious.. so should be an easy shakedown.

Habit of flying with my dad.. always like my checklists heh

@Bloodweiser check out the youtube vid.. pretty clear cut. Sounds like it is loud heh.. but.. eh.. worth it for a wife who has one leg. She needed the comfort of this thing, so gotta make sure it works for her.

R

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
wife never comes with me, I like to fish and have fun. I dont need her drama. I have taken my youngest daughter out, and I was clear, use the restroom at the dock, or you will be using the bucket. :D

Reactions: bartoma

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just get that thing in the water already and catch some fish.
That’s what full insurance is for!!!!!!

dbiscayne

Reaction score
if you've got a big oil filter sized fuel filter be sure to bring a wrench to take it off. And a backup filter. And some rags to clean up the mess. If your filter has the plastic bowl with a drain cock be ready for that to crack an o ring suck air and fail.
Make sure all your fuel hoses & oil hoses are tight. Spare hose clamps.
Reading glasses if you need them in case you need to get into the wiring or something while out.
Put a little bleach in the water tank.
Can you reach all the sea cocks without tearing stuff out of the way? Can't do it on my boat, need an extension handle thing.
Voltmeter.
Whatever you need to disengage the hydraulic tilt motor in case you need to raise the engine manually.
Spare kill switch insert things.
Don't forget a radio check.
Ice, Food, & Drinks & have fun.

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Avoid using the head unless you have access to a pump out facility.

All seacocks should be closed while running. It's easy to say, hey let's use the wash down and forget about it and then cruise down the river or sea at 30 mph. That's a lot of water pressure against that pump . Close it .

Freshwater tank can be a godsend or make you sick as a dog. Go out now and add 1/4 cup of chlorox to it and top it off with water. Let it sit a day or two . Then flush it all out through your cockpit shower, sink and so forth. Add clean water to it and you can choloronate it like a RV water tank.

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Just get that thing in the water already and catch some fish.
That’s what full insurance is for!!!!!!

I like your Captain Ron approach. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there! Lol.

Insurance is for that stuff, but your brain is there to keep you alive. There are things we all do which we all do before we leave the dock or slip. It's just automatic. So, yah, Russ needs to launch that beast and go. I agree with you. I almost feel like his boat should be named Saga or we could boat it up call it The Nauti Saga. Lol.

Willy-C

Reaction score
Here’s my suggestion for your checklist.........

#1.........charge the batteries
#2.........make sure fuel is good
#3.........install plug
#4.........launch the boat
#5.........enjoy the boat
#6.........repeat #5 for at least 20 times
#7.........on the way home write a check list of things you forgot

For heavens sake Russ, between all your posts here, THT, and FB you’ve spent enough time talking about boat troubles.........your analysis paralysis needs to be set adrift out to sea. :cool:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here’s my suggestion for your checklist.........

#1.........charge the batteries
#2.........make sure fuel is good
#3.........install plug
#4.........launch the boat
#5.........enjoy the boat
#6.........repeat #5 for at least 20 times
#7.........on the way home write a check list of things you forgot

For heavens sake Russ, between all your posts here, THT, and FB you’ve spent enough time talking about boat troubles.........your analysis paralysis needs to be set adrift out to sea. :cool:

Excellent Willy!!!

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lol willy said what I was thinking and put it into words better lol.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
you know what...I post because I like to learn, chat about boats, and understand things.

Sorry that bothers you all.
I’ll take that under advisment and stop bugging you guys, but this is how I “work it out in my head”

Thanks for the input.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Russ,
I enjoy your posts. I enjoy your excitement. Don’t get offended by someone’s comment. I’m sure nothing was meant by it. We just want you to get that boat in the water so you can enjoy the other part of boat ownership.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Russ, I do understand your process. I have enjoy making changes, adding mods , even small improvements, to make the boat mine, and a more comfortable way to use it that works for me. In my case adding mods just for the sake of enjoying working on it...... maybe resulting in a few not all that necessary. I have spent many hours in the past 10 years since owning my Grady, in on and around it.....from brakes and spring to electronics, gauges, even a new Yam F200i4 Fortunately I have been able to use it the whole time between improvements. You have proven to be a patient man....... but yes it is time. Make short list of priorities and get that baby wet "just so you know what new to you feels like." As I have said before ..... It is time to ENJOY!!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No problem guys.

I am not making changes, just for the record...I am trying to get this boat to the coast. Everything I do is with that goal. The small changes that get made are for the sole purpose of maintaining my sanity when I am unable to get it to the coast, or due to something else being broken.

A shakedown list is strictly because I have had horrible luck with this boat so far....clearly...and when it comes to my wife and kids...nothing....not one single aspect of this boat being overlooked is worth the risk of putting them in danger.

And so, this post was about asking you guys, the ones with experience with a Grady, what you would look for. If you go through the posts on this forum, so often, people say, “Did you check this or that?” And I simply am making sure to add it to my checklist. Had I not listened to so many people’s input, I would not have, or might have not, found something.
Is it a big deal? Maybe not...but would a bilge pump be a big deal if you got caught out there? Would a valve stuck open be a big deal? Maybe not.

so, like I said...ex Navy...rode through Hurricane Hugo, and a storm in the Starits of Gibraltar that was pretty darn....let’s say not fun, even on a big ship. The sea does not abide fools and the ill prepared, as you all know, so...in my down time as I work hard as hell to get this boat going, I ask questions. It really is more to keep me from selling this thing than anything else and giving up.

That and someone picked a bad day to be Captain Obvious...heh.

So, going back to making my pot of Pinto beans.

Anyone that cares to come down toTexas and buy stuff all month and install it all till this thing works, welcome to drive on down. Till then, you’ll have to excuse my many posts as it is all I have to keep positive through this 14-month nightmarish bs of a boat issue.

Russ

Reactions: Bloodweiser

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Even if you never get underway, working on and being in and around boats is therapy!