Older Garmin or Furuno?

Skip4Josh

Reaction score
Model
Journey
Hiii Everyone,
I'm new here a new Grady Owner... We actually bought two in the last 3 weeks a 02 248 voyager, and a 06 258 Journey, both have radar systems the 06 a Furuno the 02 a Garmin... I'm still trying to figure out what years both systems are, and I know that they will be upgraded/modified as we move forward but for now we'll be using one of the existing systems... Generally what is better system and which one should I keep in your opinions Josh

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When you decide to sell one let me know..I’m in the market for a used radar.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Are they stand alone radars(with their own screen/controls) or do they reqire an MFD of the same company?
Are they old LCD screens?

IMO they are probably both outdated. If they are stand alone they may be a cheap but useful (better than nothing) radar for a small boat in the dark or in the fog.

If you are going to update your MFD/Chartplotter/Sonar you probably need to get a new compatible radar. New radars are doppler and have a lot of tracking functions and use much less power and they can overlay the radar on your chart. Radars are not cross compatible between manufacturers. Old Garmin mfds cannot run new Fantom doppler radars

Skip4Josh

Reaction score
Model
Journey
Are they stand alone radars(with their own screen/controls) or do they reqire an MFD of the same company?
Are they old LCD screens?

IMO they are probably both outdated. If they are stand alone they may be a cheap but useful (better than nothing) radar for a small boat in the dark or in the fog.

If you are going to update your MFD/Chartplotter/Sonar you probably need to get a new compatible radar. New radars are doppler and have a lot of tracking functions and use much less power and they can overlay the radar on your chart. Radars are not cross compatible between manufacturers. Old Garmin mfds cannot run new Fantom doppler radars
I don't know much about them. The whole radar system is a new thing to me, I'm sure they will be changed as time goes on, I think the Furuno is a navnet system and I I know it's a 24" dome it's really hard to look up by the numbers especially for someone who is completely new to the radar thing... I have to get the Garmin numbers and look up some on that but from what I'm seeing Furuno is a better manufacturer or am I mistaken Thanks Josh

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Don't wast out time. Get model numbers. We'll talk then.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This is what I got for numbers... Furuno Radar Rsb-0071 Furuno Display rdp-149, Garmin radar 011-01487-00 Garmin display GPS map 4028.... Thanks Josh
I'm a all Garmin boat. The Garmin units are probably newer and would be my preference.

That Garmin 4028 model for the display is not right. Put a phot up or check it again. Power it up and look at system settings.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
This is what I got for numbers... Furuno Radar Rsb-0071 Furuno Display rdp-149, Garmin radar 011-01487-00 Garmin display GPS map 4028.... Thanks Josh
its probably a GPS4208 mfd not 4028.
I have one and now use it as my second sonar screen and as a backup chartplotter. . It will not work for my newer Fantom radar but the older Garmin radars were good.
the 4208 will not run CHIRP sonars either
If you update to a newer Garmin, it can still be used on the network. It can share the old radar and sonar with a new Garmin GPS86xx or GPS1243

Reactions: Skip4Josh

Skip4Josh

Reaction score
Model
Journey
I would think the Furuno is a newer system as it's on an 06 boat the Garmin is on an 02 boat either way though I don't know what I find dosent give me specs just that they are discontinued.... maybe someone out there has the owners/install manuals for these two?
The Garmin pics are below, 1st is the radar 2nd is the display.... there's also a connection box it's a Garmin GSD22 for whatever reason the pic of it won't uploadIMG_20240225_160613.jpgIMG_20240225_155720.jpg
Furuno 1st pic is the radar, last is the back of the displayIMG_20240224_122019.jpgIMG_20240224_121942.jpgIMG_20240226_151604.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Last edited:
Reactions: Skip4Josh