Older Grady a Good Idea?

striperbassman

Reaction score
I think I have come to the right place for advice....Background info: I have owned a 17 foot cc sea hunt for 9 years. Each year, I seem to stretch the envelope more and more. This past Sunday was almost my last father's day. My son and I were 8 miles off the S.C. coast when the wind changed, the water got nasty rough, and we were wondering if we would make it back to the inlet. I have reached the conclusion that I need more fiberglas beneath my feet to get my rod and reels where they want to go. I have always heard good things about the Grady, but do not have a pile of cash to afford a new one. I've had my eye on a 1990 280 Marlin. I would have to dry stack the boat, because I do not have a tow vehicle that would pull that much weight. The boat has twin 1997 yamaha 2-stroke motors, and is currently kept in the water. I fully expect that I will have to repower to insure reliability. What are the thoughts of this group on purchasing a boat that old?? What are the "watch outs" and other tips? Would you folks say this is crazy, what things should I check or should I just forget this as a bad idea? Any help you folks can give me would be appreciated. Even though this is an old boat, it is still a large financial investment for me. I really want to make an informed decision with my limited financial resources..... thanks for the help..........

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, if you really like the boat and the price is right, you should hire a surveyor to check the boat. He will tell you what's wrong and what's not and you take it from there. That will be the best money you ever spend.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Like Giorgos says, get a survey done on it. That should give you your answers. Those 2-stroke Yamahas are pretty solid motors too, so if they've been properly maintained, you wouldn't necessarily have to repower. But the only way to know for sure is to get them checked out, which would be part of your survey. Do you know how many hours are on them?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get a survey done as stated above. If you look at the boat yourself you could miss a lot of things, looking clean and well kept is only half the story. A survey will check the transom and hull for any damage or water intrusion, will check all electrical systems and make you aware of any issues as well as all mechanical components that might not be working. Basically they will compile a list for you of all things they recommend you attend to or fix before deeming the boat safe, sometimes they nit pick over things that can wait or be down over time, but other times a surveyor can find major issues with a boat that could have put a big hole in your pocket. It is the best money you can spend on an older boat with lots of components, after having it done you will know what your getting into and can research a ball park figure as to what you might be spending after the purchase, no boat is turn key, not even a new one, they allr equire something to be added by an owner. As far as the age of the boat, that is not an issue, boats last forever. What you are looking for is how the owner/owner's before you took care of it, if not cared for correctly, and in smalle rinstances, issues from the factory during the build process could over time lead to water intrusion into the transom or stringers causing the wood inside to sweel and then rot, typically you will see viable swelling and cracks around the transom, but sometimes they are just gel coat cracks from stress, gel coat does not give like fiberglass, but those cracks do need attention to keep them from causing water intrusion over time. There is no way to visually determine if it is just cosmetic or structural issues without a moisture meter which most marine surveyors will provide and use to exmaine the hull.

LI Grady

Reaction score
The age of a fiberglass boat would never discourage me. But admittely I'm biased. I have a 1978 Pacemaker and last year picked up a 1990 280 Marlin.

Besides the advice to get a survey I'd add in that expect to have projects. Little things like wire connections, hose, etc. are minor but can be annoying when you feel like you're spending every weekend fixing something and discovering a new issue. Everyone has a diferrent tolerance for this so be honest with yourself.

have a good mechanic check out the motors. In my case they are old but had new powerheads, perfect compression and my mechanic has them humming. Not as quiet or efficent as newer motors but I'll get a year or two on them at least. Get as good a handle on the working life left on the motors. That is your single biggest expense right there.

Personally. I'm really enjoying the marlin. I can take 4-5 guys out fishing or just go myself. It's big enough for a day trip with the family, has good accomodations (head, berths) and for inshore fishing (which lately is 90% of my fishing) its fast enough to shoot out and easy enough to clean up afterwards.

Good luck

bhemi

Reaction score
Go ahead

I bought a 1992 Marlin four years ago. It had been repowered with 1997 Mercury 250hp EFI Offshore engines. Then it had been allowed to sit and rot for about six years. I got a "deal" on the boat but I have pretty much been through the whole boat. New stove, new water heater, new electronics, new batteries, new bilge pumps,new upholstery, new curtains, new fuel tank senders, new holding tank pump, rebuilt head, new generator, some engine work and a lot of elbow grease.

I love the boat. I have learned alot and have saved more and more money by learning to do stuff myself. With my purchase price I probably am into into it for about $75,000 US and countless hours. I will never see that out of it. There was a little rot but not much. The boat is built like a tank. In the "hidden" areas you will be be apalled at the fit and finish. I wish I had repowered with 4 strokes and skipped the generator. I just took out the air conditioner because I never use it and the reverse heat is weak. The basic structure is strong and will last for years. I wouldn't pay more than $35-40 thousand if there are many hours on the engines. Count on a repower in your offer.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You're going to have a learning curve going from a 17' to a Marlin. It's a lot more boat and you'll feel safer. As long as that boat was cared for it can be in better shape than a 5 year old boat. Those 1997 motors may be a little thirsty (oil and gas) but will last.

1. Survey
2. Sea trial

If either fails don't buy her.

striped bass

Reaction score
I would add to the mix several other considerations. Most importantly, what are you using the boat for? Once you are clear on the use pattern, then you will be better able to judge if a 30 foot family cruiser fits your useage pattern. As Grog mentioned, there is a big learning curve stepping up to a Marlin. The expense of maintaining an older boat is also significant. The list of items and equipment that will need attention on a vessel of this size and age is endless. If you can afford a newer Grady, maybe slightly smaller, you might be happier in the long run. Best of luck.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just to add to Grog's advice....you may wish to bring a friend to get another opinion on the sea trial since you're used to a 17' boat's handling. My 2 cents.

striperbassman

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for the great information!! I did not know until now that there was such a person as a "boat surveyor!" Kind of like getting a home inspection done. I want to move up to a boat this size because my sons (along with myself) have developed serious cases of "offshore fever." There's something about hearing the drag screaming as we did this past weekend in my small boat that gets the adrenaline pumping....Just as the adrenaline was pumping trying to get the 17 footer back to the inlet through the rough seas....Made me realize that I have pushed the envelope enough...We would probably dry stack the boat, sleep on it overnight on trips.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would offer that you need to think of this in 4 dimensions:

a. can you manage / learn / run the larger boat? what will it take to potentially close any gaps in expertise to be safe and how do you get them?
b. financials will be most addreseed by the survey; please do not try to buy or negotiate until you have a full survey completed and have analyzed it
c. ongoing costs: the routine maint of more systems, larger boats, etc is complex and costly. Not just storage, but tons of other factors that have to come to play
d. your financing / insurance options are equally important. get quotes on financing, insurance, deductibles, as they need to be factored in and not surprises....

Good luck, I have been a GW owner now for some 8 years and its been one of the best boating / customer service / adventures I could have imagined.

Also, one last comment: when you are offshore and the weather changes, as it does, I have found the only gap may be in my abilty to drive and navigate vs what the boat will do. There are two pieces there, my capabilities and the boats. The GW will get you out and back home in very challenging conditions if you have the skills to match. I continue to learn and hopefully will some day I may match up to what GW boats are designed to handle.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get It Surveyed

Make sure the guy has his certification from an outfit called SAMS or SAAMS. It will probably be the best $$$$$ you ever spent. If the boat is good, you will have peace of mind. If it's an Obama-built boat, you'll be happy you saved your money on buying it.

If this is repititious, sorry. An average price to pay for a survey is around $20 per foot. Good luck with whatever you buy.

TBone

Reaction score
My first advise to you would be to TAKE YOUR TIME!

Donot jump on the first one you see.

Take in to consideration of what a "deal" may cost you.

If you have to repower, that is a ton of $$$.

Be very persistant with the surveyour that the transom has quadruple checked.

Also go thru some of the different threads on this site to get a feel of the

things you may want to look for.

Research everything about the boat so you know exactly what your seeing.

Just remember the definition of a boat....

" A BIG HOLE IN THE WATER YOU THROW MONEY INTO"

So just prepare yourslf on what to expecet, paying less on a "deal" may not

be your best bet, and may cost you more in the long run.

As you find boats you are interested in, make some posts here and get the opinion of some of the guys here,

there is a wealth of knowledge to be tapped here, use it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get a surveyor experienced in Gradys , during the "job interview", question him or her, ask what was found on other Gradys. Hopefully, more than a busted hatch support.

Remember, the boat is made of a wooden stucture and wood coring.

SAMS doesn't mean the guy has experience nor is thorough, not lazy, nor in bed with the dealer, and the small fine print language in the SAMS standard contract verbiage says the inspections are non-intrusive, meaning nothing good for potential buyer, everything good for surveyor and seller.

Good luck, now's the time to be buying anything, including Michael Jackson goods!

bhemi

Reaction score
Open all the hatches too

Have them pull up the hatches. You can't see anything thru the little deck plates. Look for leaks everywhere and try out every system.