Older Grady window replacement??

exudedude

Reaction score
Has anyone done this yet?? I've put this question up one other time and no replies.. been a few years. My windows are done for, no saving them. Any suggestions?? I have a 1990 Gulfstream.

TIA

shauncooper

Reaction score
What actually needs to be replaced, the aluminum frames, glass and gaskets/seals, or just glass and gaskets/seals?

exudedude

Reaction score
The glass is the only thing that. Is good. I pulled all of the windows out 2yrs ago. The gaskets on the fixed windows were shot and no one even Grady CS had any leads so I used a 2 part poly caulk and glazed them in. The side windows I cleaned up best I could and reset them.

Now, the frames are so pitted they are getting pinholes and that is where the water is getting in. I'm ready to toss them and get new. Until I get this done the cabin remodel is on hold.

Thanks for your time...

shauncooper

Reaction score
I am also currently have my windows out, replacing the glass and seals/gaskets, fortunately the frames are still ok. I got in touch with Grady White and they said I should get hold of Marine Glass @ 813-926-3717 for the seals/gaskets as they had all the patterns and molds for older Grady Windows that they got from Water Bonnets when they shut down. Water Bonnets were the original OEM suppliers. I have left my frames with the glazier with instructions to get the seals/gaskets from Marine Glass so I havent yet seen them, but will let you know once I receive.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Watching results here. If frames are good, is glass replacement hard?

JeffN

Reaction score
Robert are you talking about replacing the glass in the side windows or the plexy in the front cabin windows? I have rebuilt all my cabin windows and replaced the plexy on the front ones but my glass in the side windows was fine.

rlorenc24

Reaction score
Try Ocean Dynamics,Miami,Fla. ph 305 770 1800, they repaired my window with a broken frame and glass like new,, rlorenc24

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Was just wondering if replacement was easy enough or complicated. I dont like the permanent spots, but likely would get spots on new glass after a few years. Mine has tempered glass on sides and front.

JeffN

Reaction score
RobertH - Your boat is quite a bit newer than mine and I am not familiar with your windows. On mine the side windows are glass and replacing the "kitty fur" slide track was not hard, the rubber trim around the edge that covers the screws was easy to replace too. I can not remember for sure if once I removed the track the glass could come out of the frame or not, I think not. IIRC it did not but I was able to pull the new track in with the window in the frame using needle nose pliers. While they were apart I also put new screen in too. Just have a nice flat padded work surface and you are good to go. The front might be more more problematic as mine were plexy and the old plastic was a bear to remove. Grady stuck the plexy in with some very goowey black stuff that was very hard to remove. If yours is similar the old glass amy come out in pieces. I replaced the plexy with a draker tint and that is nice from the inside and out. As an experiment I had the front frames powder coated white while they were out, they are holding up pretty well and that was about five season ago. Rehabing the windows was well worth the effort, the leaks stopped and my cabin is dry now. If your boat is covered the project is a good winter one and does not take very long. Perhaps there is someone here with your vintage windows that has completed the project. Mine was a straight foward DIY poject. The material from marine glass was the same as OEM so there was no adapting to be done which is always a plus.

Good luck with your project.

ABC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
RobertH - Your boat is quite a bit newer than mine and I am not familiar with your windows. On mine the side windows are glass and replacing the "kitty fur" slide track was not hard, the rubber trim around the edge that covers the screws was easy to replace too. I can not remember for sure if once I removed the track the glass could come out of the frame or not, I think not. IIRC it did not but I was able to pull the new track in with the window in the frame using needle nose pliers. While they were apart I also put new screen in too. Just have a nice flat padded work surface and you are good to go. The front might be more more problematic as mine were plexy and the old plastic was a bear to remove. Grady stuck the plexy in with some very goowey black stuff that was very hard to remove. If yours is similar the old glass amy come out in pieces. I replaced the plexy with a draker tint and that is nice from the inside and out. As an experiment I had the front frames powder coated white while they were out, they are holding up pretty well and that was about five season ago. Rehabing the windows was well worth the effort, the leaks stopped and my cabin is dry now. If your boat is covered the project is a good winter one and does not take very long. Perhaps there is someone here with your vintage windows that has completed the project. Mine was a straight foward DIY poject. The material from marine glass was the same as OEM so there was no adapting to be done which is always a plus.

Good luck with your project.
marine glass? who are they? in your last sentence there

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
The glass is the only thing that. Is good. I pulled all of the windows out 2yrs ago. The gaskets on the fixed windows were shot and no one even Grady CS had any leads so I used a 2 part poly caulk and glazed them in. The side windows I cleaned up best I could and reset them.

Now, the frames are so pitted they are getting pinholes and that is where the water is getting in. I'm ready to toss them and get new. Until I get this done the cabin remodel is on hold.

Thanks for your time...