Older Offshore Hulls, (1985-1993) Finding one without rot?

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking to find an Offshore 24 or Explorer 24 from the early years and I have looked at 3 of them and all of them have transom and stringer rot, and were all trailer kept. Just wondering how hard it will be to find a solid hull that I can re-power or use the Engine it comes with for a year or 2 before I can re power it.

A boat dealer in baltimore has a Explorer 24 1992 Hull only for 10K and says its perfect but I am going to look at it this weekend before I pay a surveyor..

Also if I do find one, will it last or will I have to do the transom at some point in time on these?

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Re: Older Offshore Hulls, (1985-1993) Finding one without ro

I just sold my 1986 Offshore in the fall with a good original transom. From what I was told by the surveyor who looked at the boat for me and others is that if the boat was well cared from to begin with they are much less subject to rot. I had the notched transom which was most known from what I understood. Previous owners had to keep up with caulking old and new holes and areas water could get in. I repowered with a new to me motor so I was able to completely remove the aluminum angle cap and lay it in a good bed of caulking. The plywood underneath was still in great shape as well. Another area of concern was the brass water drains. I replaced those and again calked them in real nice.

I was really worried about rot in the transom, but the more I researched and read the better I felt about my boat being solid. The previous owners took great care of the boat and it showed. I always assumed if I kept the bat long term and the transom was in question I would have done a seacast system and rebuild it over a winter if it was needed. Good luck, there are still a lot of good older boats out there in solid original condition.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Older Offshore Hulls, (1985-1993) Finding one without ro

I have a 92 explorer, closed transom and it shows no signs of rot..love the boat and tore it apart, do a search from my posts and u can find it...I am looking to go bigger..pm me an offer the works already done for ya..only thing is I'm in Texas..boat is 80% freshwater..new trailer last year made for the boat so it fits and tows like a dream.