Omc spark plug wire opinion needed

mboyatt

Reaction score
I have a silly question, but wanted opinions. I have a 1994 evinrude ocean pro V6 that has 1 spark plug wire that is definitely bad. One other wire is marginal, but probably should be replaced. The rest look to be in ok shape. All are the original wires, circa 1994. I found a replacement set of 6 that are already crimped and ready to go from Mallory marine. The description says 7mm jacket, Tin plated copper core, For 40,000 volts. It is marketed specifically for my year V6, but i am no expert here, so I do not know if this is a quality set. I can purchase only single wires from evinrude, and I would need to crimp those. I kind of like the idea of replacing all at once just to be cautious. So, what are the thoughts on the aftermarket set from Mallory marine? They are about 40 bucks, which I can live with. Do I go with that, or just purchase 2 from evinrude and then purchase a crimping tool, etc... Thanks in advance for any feedback.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The wire set is 20 years old. They've done their job and lived a good life -- replace them all. Mallory has been around for a long time and makes fine parts. I wouldn't hesitate one minute to use their parts.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
mboyatt said:
I can purchase only single wires from evinrude, and I would need to crimp those.

Have you checked with shopevinrude.com or boats.net? Several years ago I read somewhere that you should replace the original copper wires with the newer style suppression type wires so I ordered a set from shopevinrude and they came cut to length with the terminals and boots already installed. Boats.net would be the same OEM wires at a little better price.

I still have the original set of wires that I removed from my 94 175 and they are in perfect condition. I would be happy to drop them off in the mail if you would like to use them.