OMC spray paint dry time

mboyatt

Reaction score
Folks, believe it or not, the Evinrude/Johnson touch up paint I got directly from Evinrude does NOT provide any information whatsoever about curing time. What the heck? I have checked all over the inernet and can't seem to find this information. The color is the OMC white, 1981 and on. I have a minor run that I would like to correct on my lower unit. I fully prepped everything, primed with self etching primer and put down several thin coats of the white while the primer was still tacky. Probably 3 coats. Looks great (has that wet look) but I have 1 area I need to fix. Any idea on how long this has to cure before I can lightly sand and shoot another coat? I have heard that if you do it too early the second go around may peel up. I am paranoid because 90 percent of the job looks great. Removed the lower cowls and did the whole deal. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

mboyatt

Reaction score
I thought I would update this post in case someone else ever encounters this issue and does a search on GreatGrady. I just spoke with technical support at BRP/Evinrude and they assure me that the cure time is 24 hours. Even for re-sanding and follow up coats. Hmmmm. I have waited 3 days, so I think I will give it one more day and then go for it. Also plan on waiting a week after final coat before splashing the motor.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Painting cars as a hobby, I would say 24 hours is about right. If you clear coat it, wait a week to buff it to a high shine. New paint formulas have made it much simpler these days.