On the fence- buying a 180, boat show price ends today

zimm

Reaction score
I was at the Annapolis boat show yesterday. I went to compare the Grady 180 and the Key West 189FS. I like the Key West because a potty fits in the console for the kids and a full bench seat across the back, plus its a few hundred pounds lighter (I have tow vehicle limits). But they didn't bring that model to the show.

I love the 180. I had a 226 before. The boat show price is almost too good to pass up- $40k on trailer, with Garmin GPS/finder, coast guard package, and delivery fees included. Only have to add sales tax. The only problem is that I don't need the boat until next spring and I'd hate to be paying for a boat for 6 months before I'm ready. I'd really like to wait until spring, but I think that will cost me a few grand more.

The other thing is that the 180 I'm looking at has the cable steering and no trim tabs. I can add tabs myself if needed, but will I regret the cable steering?

I've got serious butterflies. I'm leaning towards holding off on the purchase, seeing the Key West 189 in person, then making a rational decision over the winter. Unless you guys think that's too good of a deal to pass up? Or will there be a grady days promotion or something in the spring?

Damn the sales pressure. Advice? I have until this afternoon to decide.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I need to tune in on your life more often. I haven't been updated since the sale of your 226.

OK..

Pass. For these reasons.

1.)If you are unsure about it, don't spend 40K.

2.) I would have no boat w/out tabs. Especially with your family/kids aboard, they are important tools for load leveling. Plus the river you run in I'm sure gets snotty at times.

3.) You could change your mind 2-3 times over during the winter. You might find a good used rig like your 226 that is withing the limits of your tow rig plus save you some.

4.) I can't comment on cable steering, but Seastar-equipped boats just seem better to me.

Sales pressure? Don't believe him/her. There will always be a "sale" and the "absolute best" time to buy your Grady in the future. I mentioned it before, but it's worth saying again; If your not sure, hold off.

zimm

Reaction score
Thanks for talking me off the ledge! Phew. I'm moving to Miami next fall, so I'm looking for a boat to take my two boys out on all spring/summer here in VA, then florida after that. I retire next summer, so I'll have lots of free time on the weekends to play on the water!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Zimm - I owned a 180. Without tabs. And without hydraulic steering. The boat performed just fine. That said, adding both adds another $2500 to the rig.

I'd wait until you move.....plenty of boat shows in January and February to get a decent deal.

seasick

Reaction score
If you have to have tabs, then I suggest you might want to work out a deal. Hydraulic tabs are a bit of a pain to install and they could be a bargaining chip for the deal .
The issue of hydraulic vs cable steering is more of a motor size issue than a hull issue. If the motor is relatively small, 150 hp or there about, hydraulic isn't needed. As the motor size grows, hydraulic is preferred and may be a requirement from GW at some point in motor HP and weight.
A call to Grady to ask about what the factory options are and the recommeneded rigging would help.
Don't forget, next spring there may be leaft over new models out there. Don't feel that you have to act right now.
Good luck

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was in the same situation as you. Went to a boat show and was all set with a fisherman 209. Thought I had plenty of time until the pressure sales started. Had to order the boat by next weekend he said. I decided to keep my 226 and do some work on the engine instead.

If I were you I would wait till you got to
Miami, 40k can buy you a lot more boat if you buy used than it can new.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Zimm,
I had a 192 and took that boat to the Keys a good bit. The 180 is a nice boat but you may want to consider the 192?
It is a good day boat in the Keys and Miami are.
Also, thank you for your service and enjoy your new life in South Florida .