On the West Coast picked up a boat on the East Coast and trailered it back!

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well earlier in the year I picked up a Grady white 228 2003 with a Yamaha 225. Found an outstanding Yamaha technician to go through it and replace the exhaust and few other seals.

Left the San Francisco Bay area July 22 picked up the new trailer from Owens and brothers in Florida on July 25th at 8 A.m. then proceeded to go to Savannah Georgia got to see the boat for the first time I had it detailed at Billy‘s above water detailing wow look awesome. Ran the boat for a half hour performed awesome, put it on the trailer and wow went on really nicely Owens trailer fit perfectly.

Spent couple days At John’s Yamaha technician yard doing some updates on the boat and maintenance installing new VHF radio and antennas, And some electrical minor issues with the help of Brain Great Grady.

Put the boat in the water the next 2 Days probably traveled just under 30 miles boat and motor performed excellent. Tried catching fish but with the hurricane coming Fishing was off,probably traveled just under 30 miles boat and motor performed excellent. Tried catching fish but with the hurricane coming fishing was off.
Start packing up on July 29 Next morning July 30 8 o’clock hooked up the boat and headed to California to beat the hurricane Went to Atlanta met ( Parthery ) For lunch he took a look at my 228 Check it out gave me a thumbs up and said I did good on this purchase☹️

I had a great conversation with Parthery My driving partner and I Continued on our way hit some severe rain storms was not expecting rain this time of year coming from California but wow ,first stop was at. Kentucky lake pretty easy driving Boat was easy to Trailer. Second day more rain often on really long day of 14 hours of driving stopped in Nebraska very uneventful trailer and boat traveling very easy but I do enjoy driving long distances and long days really interesting seeing all these states for the first time Took the northern route home to go to Reno, stopped at Utah Nevada border for the night missed seeing the salt flats during the daylight. Left at 6 AM done this drive before from here arrived in Reno at 2 PM dropped off at the boat at TNT auto and boat painting to get the boat bottom paint removed very professional I will pick up the boat in about 2 1/2 weeks continued to San Francisco Bay area arrived home around 5:30 can’t wait to pick her up, Very successful trip!1FB2968D-1651-4F2F-9A98-5862BDBE2682.jpeg

Attachments

• DFF825BA-8A45-4466-96ED-7832A2B0AD9A.jpeg
    DFF825BA-8A45-4466-96ED-7832A2B0AD9A.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2B1F50D6-79A2-43CC-9756-B1BA582D30AC.jpeg
    2B1F50D6-79A2-43CC-9756-B1BA582D30AC.jpeg
    933.7 KB · Views: 6

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Glad you made it safe, your going to love that boat. Are you getting a plan for your trolling that you want to do??

Reactions: JJMag

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It looks great....not sure why the :(

Welcome to the South....we get those rainstorms every day around 3 in the afternoon. Yesterday, a microburst tore across Lake Lanier and destroyed a bunch of docks, broke some boats loose, etc... Good for my canvas guy who will be busy starting today putting folks biminis and covers back together.

Always nice to meet a fellow GW owner....and when work gets me out to the West Coast, which is does a couple times a year, I look forward to meeting again.

• Haha
Reactions: leeccoll and JJMag

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Glad you made it safe, your going to love that boat. Are you getting a plan for your trolling that you want to do??

I mostly do trolling for halibut and salmon and tuna I do do some drifting for rockhard and link card and a little bit for halibut

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It looks great....not sure why the :(

Welcome to the South....we get those rainstorms every day around 3 in the afternoon. Yesterday, a microburst tore across Lake Lanier and destroyed a bunch of docks, broke some boats loose, etc... Good for my canvas guy who will be busy starting today putting folks biminis and covers back together.

Always nice to meet a fellow GW owner....and when work gets me out to the West Coast, which is does a couple times a year, I look forward to meeting again.

Yeah some of the rain storms we probably had only 40 to 50 feet visibility it came down in buckets at times.

Definitely nice to meet other Grady White owners seem to be a lot more open to advice !
Definitely look forward to having you on the West Coast and taking you out to wet the line With you thank you again for all your advice and Company .

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice eventful journey, glad you made it home safely!

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Most definitely lucky dude will get more pictures once I get the bottom paint removed

Give you a rundown how to catch halibut we have four in the boat today out the gate on live bait

Reactions: Bloodweiser

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Limits of halibut today long day but we beat the heat today came home 87° at 9o’clock
D Grizzly and lucky dude yes we definitely have to go fishing give me a call tomorrow if you’re free 415-246-9131

Attachments

• 34C700F8-5F6A-4D38-BF75-0BD5987D8260.jpeg
    34C700F8-5F6A-4D38-BF75-0BD5987D8260.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • D1419664-0E3E-4A46-A4B6-6FB31626DDCF.jpeg
    D1419664-0E3E-4A46-A4B6-6FB31626DDCF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 4AF8F052-9437-461B-A67F-AAA226056ACC.jpeg
    4AF8F052-9437-461B-A67F-AAA226056ACC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well earlier in the year I picked up a Grady white 228 2003 with a Yamaha 225. Found an outstanding Yamaha technician to go through it and replace the exhaust and few other seals.

Left the San Francisco Bay area July 22 picked up the new trailer from Owens and brothers in Florida on July 25th at 8 A.m. then proceeded to go to Savannah Georgia got to see the boat for the first time I had it detailed at Billy‘s above water detailing wow look awesome. Ran the boat for a half hour performed awesome, put it on the trailer and wow went on really nicely Owens trailer fit perfectly.

Spent couple days At John’s Yamaha technician yard doing some updates on the boat and maintenance installing new VHF radio and antennas, And some electrical minor issues with the help of Brain Great Grady.

Put the boat in the water the next 2 Days probably traveled just under 30 miles boat and motor performed excellent. Tried catching fish but with the hurricane coming Fishing was off,probably traveled just under 30 miles boat and motor performed excellent. Tried catching fish but with the hurricane coming fishing was off.
Start packing up on July 29 Next morning July 30 8 o’clock hooked up the boat and headed to California to beat the hurricane Went to Atlanta met ( Parthery ) For lunch he took a look at my 228 Check it out gave me a thumbs up and said I did good on this purchase☹

I had a great conversation with Parthery My driving partner and I Continued on our way hit some severe rain storms was not expecting rain this time of year coming from California but wow ,first stop was at. Kentucky lake pretty easy driving Boat was easy to Trailer. Second day more rain often on really long day of 14 hours of driving stopped in Nebraska very uneventful trailer and boat traveling very easy but I do enjoy driving long distances and long days really interesting seeing all these states for the first time Took the northern route home to go to Reno, stopped at Utah Nevada border for the night missed seeing the salt flats during the daylight. Left at 6 AM done this drive before from here arrived in Reno at 2 PM dropped off at the boat at TNT auto and boat painting to get the boat bottom paint removed very professional I will pick up the boat in about 2 1/2 weeks continued to San Francisco Bay area arrived home around 5:30 can’t wait to pick her up, Very successful trip!View attachment 15123
Do you mind saying how much the detail cost. Quoted AUD$2500 for my 228 with bottom paint. $4500 with ceramic coat. Going to do it myself. Spent the weekend removing decals and stripes. DA polisher, polish and ceramic coat turning up this week. Time will tell if it is the right decision.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you mind saying how much the detail cost. Quoted AUD$2500 for my 228 with bottom paint. $4500 with ceramic coat. Going to do it myself. Spent the weekend removing decals and stripes. DA polisher, polish and ceramic coat turning up this week. Time will tell if it is the right decision.

The detailing with a nano coat and replace the pinstriping and the decals with the new style was $1600 wow they A great job! Wish the decals were original style But that’s all that was available. Waterline Up LLC wasrecommended to me by John mobile marine mechanic Savannah Georgia certified Yamaha technician. I definitely was. Blessed by finding reputable inexpensive marine service compared to California!

leeccoll recommended the bottom leeccoll plate establishment TNT and they gave me a quote of $900 to remove the bottom paint And to polish it it out .

leeccoll thank you for recommending them their price was incredible.

Reactions: SeanC

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hard to beat $900 for rem
The detailing with a nano coat and replace the pinstriping and the decals with the new style was $1600 wow they A great job! Wish the decals were original style But that’s all that was available. Waterline Up LLC wasrecommended to me by John mobile marine mechanic Savannah Georgia certified Yamaha technician. I definitely was. Blessed by finding reputable inexpensive marine service compared to California!

leeccoll recommended the bottom leeccoll plate establishment TNT and they gave me a quote of $900 to remove the bottom paint And to polish it it out .

leeccoll thank you for recommending them their price was incredible.
hard to beat $900 for removal of bottom paint and polish it out, got me thinking I should schedule to have them do mine when fishing is over .

dgrizzly

Reaction score
JJMag : looks like you're getting some good fish there! Look fwd to seeing the before/after of the bottom paint removal.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Very nice to see fish AND a happy owner. Grats. Looking forward to those pics too! I actually want the entire hull sanded and re-finished and such, so has to be cheaper than removing and resurfacing bottom paint.. heh.. but, who knows.

R

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We live here in San Rafael and have a '04 228 and try to go out the GGB every week now for halibut at the north bar and sometimes for salmon around Dux.

I love my GW and it has seen lots of blood on the deck - mostly halibut this year. Did get a first salmon last friday - 22#'s. The GW handles real good even thought I have not
figured out the trim tabs - as its an kinda old need to watch what goes wrong and try to be Mr fix-it sometimes.

Sturg.

Reactions: Pighunter and JJMag