Onboard "must have" list

OnTheBeach

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased a 1992 Marlin with twin Yamaha 250's In December. The survey was good, all mechanical issues were addressed, and owner has guaranteed engines and sea trials (in writing) in April when splashed.

I am putting together a needs list for the spring- and have never owned a Grady, or a boat this size. We will not be going off shore, just day sailing until I am comfortable with the boat- around Boston and the North Shore.

Beyond windlass, rode, chain and anchor, I need to resupply. (Electronics,gauges, berth, head, coaming pads and seating are all good, as is the hard top.)

I have already sent away for the GW owners manual, and the Yamaha manual.

Fenders, PFD's ,dock lines, I need them all- and more importantly- anything you folks know I will need- that I am blind to...

I just got West Marines 40 lb catalog today--overload!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

M

Enough Already

Reaction score
Lots of input on the way but please don't say "sailing"! You have internal combustion now! :mrgreen:

Sorry, just an old snailboat vs. stinkboat thing . . .

30marlin

Reaction score
OnTheBeach said:
I purchased a 1992 Marlin with twin Yamaha 250's In December. The survey was good, all mechanical issues were addressed, and owner has guaranteed engines and sea trials (in writing) in April when splashed.

I am putting together a needs list for the spring- and have never owned a Grady, or a boat this size. We will not be going off shore, just day sailing until I am comfortable with the boat- around Boston and the North Shore.

Beyond windlass, rode, chain and anchor, I need to resupply. (Electronics,gauges, berth, head, coaming pads and seating are all good, as is the hard top.)

I have already sent away for the GW owners manual, and the Yamaha manual.

Fenders, PFD's ,dock lines, I need them all- and more importantly- anything you folks know I will need- that I am blind to...

I just got West Marines 40 lb catalog today--overload!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

M

Get good PFD's. type 1 offshore jackets.Take them out of the bag and make sure they are ready to use. Put the light and whistle on them. I carry a small flare pack on each of mine also since I am out in the open ocean. There is a 99.999999 percent chance you might never need them but it is good to have. Get the best flare pack you can and not those 12 gauge one's either. I carry SOLAS approved signals. Make sure you have a good radio and it works. Small EPIRB's are getting inexpensive. That is you last resort at calling for help if something happens.

Enjoy your boat and good luck.
Take your time getting the feel on how it handles and maneuvers with twins.
Mine takes longer to stop than my old 26 footer but the Marlin does not seam to get spun around like a weather vane in the wind when backing into my slip like my old boat.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know you said electronics were good but make sure and make sure again that your VHF is in good working order. Also make sure you have a high end antenna..without a good antenna you might as well be talking into a brick. And I usually have a handheld on board too.

'05 300 Marlin w/F250's

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would add the following:
- a small ditch bag that has safety equipment (in addition to what you have on board).
- verify all fire extingusihers are good - if in question replace.
- a good first aid kit

lgusto

Reaction score
Paper charts or a chart book for everyplace you go, a compass in good working order, and a deviation table filled out specifically for your boat. If your electronics fail, having these three items and knowing how to use them will get you home safely.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Redundancy is key.Prepare for Murphy's Law. When something goes wrong usually more will go wrong.

I have 2 VHF's, plus a hand held, Charts , a Chartplotter and a GPS, and a separate Sounder as well as the one included in my Chartplotter.

Then for emergencies an 465mhz epirb and a ditch bag with flares, mirror,and v sheet. Lifejackets are in the overhead storage and anchor is always in the pulpit ready to deploy.

Whilst you don't need to go and buy all this stuff imediately it is something you can build on, especially when you start to venture further afield.

antaris

Reaction score
In addition to the aforementioned, may I add some old-school necessities:

- bucket (a couple, possibly a collapsible one) - for emptying out water
- a hand-operated bilge pump
- a sea-anchor (drogue), especially useful if you're out of power and the wind takes you towards the rocks (also very small and easy to store)
- a simple system of tubing/wood and rope to tie around the outboard if steering goes down (this is nothing extra - just plan in advance what you'll use), so that you could at least troll back to harbour
- bottle of hydraulic steering oil
- a knife
- a set of wood cones to tap into hull cracks (not sure what they are called - sailboats always carry them)

Above all, what I always recommend and enjoy is a a little drill called "the captain has fainted"... It is basically a scenario where all/some of the passengers can run the basic procedures to get you all back to port or (at least) call for help - since you, well, have fainted!. Show them:
- VHF/Epirb functions, channel 16, etc,
- fire extinguishers, flares AND their use
- basic principles of boating

I'd seriously run the drill in full, at least once per season. I've actually prepared a couple of A4 sheets with such basic instructions so that when needed, whoever is onboard and still standing can feel a little more comfortable and READ through the instructions...few words, more images/diagrams and simple information - do not forget they will probably be in (relative) panic in this occurence!

Duty Free

Reaction score
No better place to come and get fantastic information.... Everyone has given me sound advice in the past..and it was much appreciated. I am the owner of a 1996 30' Marlin and I can tell you first hand that aside from all that they have recommended and suggested ... Get out on the water and learn the feel of this boat. Take it from me .. it isn’t my 22' center console anymore !!!!
This boat is safe, but it is also heavy and needs time & room to stop or maneuver … may I also suggest that you practice with the twins so that you can take full advantage of the backing into tight spots or the slip. I love my Marlin and wish you all the best fun and family enjoyment on this fantastic boat.
Safe boating…..Duty Free :D

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
:welcome A quick note to welcome you to the Grady group. I am around the corner in Marblehead and have been the owner of a Voyager 24 for one year. Prior to the Grady I was a 30 yr. racing sailor and did some racing in Nahant towne class regattas. As you probalbly already know this forum is really great. I was able to get the feel for the 24 (single engine) with some practice and assistance from a fellow 24 journey-voyager-(white cloud) an hour of on board tutoring was worth 10 hours of reading. By mid summer I felt confident enough to go to Portland Maine. I am sure you will love the boat and if you find any Marlin owner close by to go out with you for an hour or so it would be well worthwhile. good luck Lew

OnTheBeach

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you all.

The members of this board have been knowledgeable,patient, helpful and without BS for all my posts and newbie questions for the past two years.

Your advice will be taken. I will enjoy the boat, but as you said going from a 20' lake boat to this is quite a a learning curve.

All help is listened to, and appreciated.

M

DB

Reaction score
I agree with Jekyl...get two of everything....spare prop & prop wrench....some good shrinkwrap tape - ever had a hose spring a leak...Tools...flashlights...good serrated knife - ever run over a dock line?...good pair of side cuts - ever run over a crap pot?...Hand held VHF & GPS - ever run into fog?...cell phone charger - ever had the battery go dead when you need it?....wooden Pegs - ever had a thru hull leak...boat hook - ever had some newbie about to ding your rig...I've had all these things happen to me out there...be prepared.

freddy063

Reaction score
Regrettably most people have all kinds of life jacket in there boats but never wear them. My wife and I made a promise to each other that we will always wear a life vest of some type when we are on the boat. The type we chose and use is the belt pack type. Make sure you get things that your going to use, granted laws make you have certain items, and you must have them, but a life jacket stored under the bunk wouldn’t help you much. As far as must haves, you got two of just about everything already with twin motors, safely items such as Epirbs and life rafts are always a good thing. Think about your worst fears, fire, bad fuel, bad weather, what would you need for them. In cold water if you don’t have a life raft or survive suits you don’t have to many options if you plan on leaving your boat..

Tashmoo

Reaction score
You should have a pretty good list from the group by now and lots of good recommendations. The only thing that I can add it to ALWAYS have spare fuel filters onboard and be sure you can get the old ones off. Many people over tighten them which is ok if your replacing them in your slip but a PITA on the water.

FYI, a PLB or EPIRB is an absolute must for off shore. I went through the mental machinations last year regarding EPIRB vs PLB as I am off shore frequently. In my analysis and for my type of boating the PLB was the winner.

I also love the service that you can purchase with my PLB and I am sure EPIRB's have it as well, to send a pre-entered message to up to five emails and texts without sending an emergency call out. When you are 30 miles out, its 5:00PM and you have been fishing all day and ready to pack it in and the bite goes off or you hook up it is really nice to hit the button to let the wife know your ok and will be in later than scheduled.

Boston up through the north shore has lots to offer, just be careful in Boston Harbor, outside of the channel there are lots of hidden treasures, all on the charts but there none the less, enjoy.

OnTheBeach

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone
:noob
I dont want to be "that guy" --approaching the slip and seeing a group of very nervous boat owners with boat hooks ready................

Tashmoo

Which PLB do you have? Did not know about the email option.

Thanks
M

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Never had to try it but it's been said that nerf balls work well for stuffing in thru-hulls if the hose fails. I have the wooden dowels but having to drive a hard wood dowel in a hole that's at or below the wateline doesn't give me that much confidence.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
OnTheBeach

I have the ACR AquaLink.

Since there are very limited options for slips in Swampscott and none in Marblehead where do you plan to keep your boat.

I am in Beverly Port which up until last year I would not recommend to my worst enemy, but they have put big $$ into cleaning the place up and I have to say it has gotten a lot better, they still have more to do however. Also, Brewer just bought Hawthorn Cove, which will put pressure on all of the other marinas in the area to clean up their act.