One happy man!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a good many things in life that I like to do but a lifelong passion is fishing and here on the Jersey shore striper its fishing that can border on obsession, something that keeps me from getting things done during the fall run. :lol:
Some know that I've had my Grady about 3 years now and there have been issues. On my first season after replacing the tank, lines and deck we hit the water in time for summer. And in '14 yes we did have a great summer with all the family and friends on the boat and that's what I wanted it for, but for me, just me :oops: ...I wanted this boat for the fall striper run.
Sure you can catch Bass from shore but the big'uns are under the schools and for that you need a boat, a good one built for rough water. My Bayliner bowrider ( a Sandy victim) fell short but now I had one made for the task!
It wouldn't happen this year as on the eve of the fall run my engine quit. :cry: :roll:
Needless to say when the engine quit I was a little more than disappointed. 2015 Was a wash as I tried to figure out what I wanted or could afford to do. At the very end of the year I found another engine, same make, model, year, and 141 digits apart on the serial number with 370hrs. I bought it, mounted, and tested it on the Delaware in early December just in time to tuck it away for the winter. I spent the winter installing a washdown and livewell system along with completely rewiring and installing new gauges.

This season though not the best for fishing, was very good for the family in getting out on the water and enjoying the boat.
Still my mind was on the fall run.
This past Friday had a west wind so I hit the water, just me, leaving Shark River inlet at dawn and heading north.
The experience of being on the water at dawn is beyond gratifying.
Heading north I joined the early bird striper guys on the bunker schools. I snagged my bait and setting it up on a 3way rig sent it back down with a prayer. The rod was in free spool, clicker on and about 5 minutes in buzz, buzz, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :shock:
Didn't feel all that big as I set the hook but at the surface my heart beat through my chest when I saw the broom sized tailfin. Seeing the boat the fish decided it'd have none of it and it ran to China. Fighting it back to the boat, fumbling for the net and then its on the deck... Couldn't believe it, this was my biggest to date!
43" 34lbs.
In that instant, all the aggravation, money and time spent were wiped away! That Grady may be on eve of its 30th birthday but its performance for this purpose was spot on.
I am definitely a happy man!

DSCN8516a_zpswfvwozak.jpg

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congratulations Lt Mike - that is a nice fish and will make for a several nice feasts!

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Good for you, love hearing the success story!

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea Man!! Awesome fish, congrats. It has been so windy here, from the East too, I have not been out in over a month. I have the DTs! So j 8) ust to get on the boat, I washed it today!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks, that night I grilled up striper steaks marinated with McCormick's lemon butter dill. It was a home run and we had leftovers for lunch the next day. I have steaks portioned and bagged for 4 more family dinners in the freezer too.
The boats hooked up to the truck right now again ready to go out in the morning but with my daughter this time though she's not thrilled about getting up at 5am. :mrgreen:
Wish us luck!
Mike

rpc

Reaction score
Nice fish Lt Mike. There's nothing like having a fish grab that bunker and take that run before setting the hook...an awesome feeling. I'll be out tomorrow morning myself leaving the Shark River at 5:30. Hope to see you out there. Good luck!!!
Rich
Annie Blue

fathergoose

Reaction score
Great fish and wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks guys.
Took a buddy out Monday for stripers and though those around us got a few bass it wasn't in the cards for us that day. Its ok, it was a good day on the water and we covered a good bit of water chasing the bunker schools down the coast. My buddy used to own a 28' boat and due to kids in collage the boat had to be sold. Needless to say he was happy to be back on the water. Near the end of our day ( about noon :roll: we hit the water before dawn) the wind shifted and the chop picked up a little. Running the couple of miles back he mentioned on how well the boat was suited for fishing and how well it rode. I said ya its pretty good for a 20'er and he looked at me a little dumbfounded, he thought it was bigger. Yep, I've been on other brands that were 24' with the same fishable deck space as this 20 that didn't ride as well. I'm not saying it rode like his 28'er but he agreed it felt bigger than 20. I think we have another believer :mrgreen: I wonder what he'll buy the next time he's ready for another boat? :wink:
Mike

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Nice Fish Mike!

Here is mine, caught trolling Bunker spoons last Sunday AM off Mantoloking NJ on my Buddy Capn Niff's Audrey Sue, a 87 Grady Trophy Pro.
We caught two that morning before the bite shut down, one 32 pounds, and this 39 pounder:

It has been a GREAT Fall run so far this year!
Going out again tomorrow AM for more fun....may go into catch and release mode since I've got plenty of meat in the freezer already.

cool change

Reaction score
Congrats mike.. what a nice fish happy for you, from your staten island fellow fisherman

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Nice one Len!
I've got to pickup a bunker spoon rod by next season.
I'm considering getting a fiberglass replica now as it's sinking just how big that fish was.
One thing I didn't mention was that I didn't have my wife to take pics for me. She's pretty good at it but she wasn't home when I got home and I was a little panicky as I wanted some good pics while the fish still had good color. What to do???
I got my neighbor and put a camera in her hand.
Oh man, :shock: she;s taking pics of the ground, the sky, doesn't know which end of the camera to hold.
:roll: Here I am with the biggest bass I ever caught and I've got Mrs. Magoo taking photo record. :bang
I just said take a lot, then take a lot more! Somethings got to come out right. :lol:
I took a few of just the fish on the boat and at the house too so I think I've got enough to work for a replica.
Anyone want to recommend a shop?
Mike.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
All good stories. Nice fish. I have never caught not eaten a striper. Is it a fishy fish to eat? I also wonder is this the same stripe bass that lives in freshwater rivers like the St. John's in Florida?

So your buddy likes how your Grady rides? Your boat is the pre CV2 days and my brother had an 86-88 , I don't recall, 190 tournament. The CV2 ride is softer than the old hull. You kind of wonder about how crappy other 20 footers ride?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All stripers are the same species, but they have different life histories depending on where they live. They are temperate water fish, so they don't do well where it gets too cold or too hot. In the North East, some will stay in rivers year round. But the larger fish move out into the coastal ocean water where there is more food available once the water warms up to the 50's or so. Interestingly, they stay in the rivers year round in the southern part of their range because the ocean/gulf temperatures get too warm.

During the last ice age, their range extended all around Florida. But now they are only found in the St. John's and a few spring fed rivers in the Panhandle where they became trapped by high ocean temperature. Most populations need a "salt wedge" in an estuary to spawn. This lets their eggs float in the water column at the salt/freshwater interface. But some populations can spawn successfully in freshwater rivers such as the upper Santee/Cooper drainage in SC. These populations are the source of most of the freshwater stocks that have been established in reservoirs.

They were introduced into the Pacific from the Raritan River in NJ back in the 1800's. They have become established in the San Francisco area estuary and a few other rivers to the north as far as Oregon. These fish leave the estuary in the summer when the rivers get too warm.

Most stripers are excellent eating. They flakey white meat that has a mild taste. However, some of the saltwater fish can have a strong flavor if they come from polluted water or have been feeding a lot on menhaden. Freshwater stripers are pretty bland to my taste.

I really miss fishing for stripers. The ocean going ones are very robust and beautiful fish. I was obsessed with them when I lived in the Northeast. But since I don't like to eat the ones from the St. John's or Santee Cooper, I don't fish for them anymore.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Striper is a white meat light but you still know it's fish so it has flavor and is not bland. I scale the fish then filet it with the skin on. A fish this size lets me section the filet into six inch square steaks and we're 2" - 3" thick.
I marinade them with McCormick lemon butter dill and grill them on a fish basket skin side down. When they flake evenly they're done. They'll be a little singed around the edges and have the consistency of a good steak. They're to die for! :wink:
I can see how location can be a factor in taste. We caught catfish in the Delaware river this past spring which I was looking forward to cooking but we found them to have a muddy taste not what I expected.

I've been in Grady's with the sea v2 hull and I don't see a major difference. I think the older hull has better handling characteristics. Like I said my 20'er rides like a much bigger boat. You may not always be able to run fast but it always feels safe. It's comfortable and gives confidence when drifting in rough seas where a boat with less freeboard would make you think you shouldn't be out.
Mike

Finest Kind

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
All good stories. Nice fish. I have never caught not eaten a striper. Is it a fishy fish to eat? I also wonder is this the same stripe bass that lives in freshwater rivers like the St. John's in Florida?

Striper is one of the BEST eating fish in the sea!

BUT, to enjoy a quality meal on the table, (not for Striper only, do this with ALL fish you plan to eat) you MUST bleed them out properly as soon as they come off the hook.
Using a sturdy blade, stab the base of tail, breaking the tail bone so that you see blood oozing out. Then cut the gills and throw him in the live well (if that big boy fits!) for 15 minutes to bleed out....or pass a rope through his gills and out his mouth and hang him over the side. Either way, the fish needs to bleed out in salt water.

Back at the dock, fillet, skin and trim off ALL the red meat along the lateral line and below the skin. DO NOT rinse the fillets with fresh water. Bring back a bucket of sea water to rinse off the meat in.
Back home, blot the fillets dry with paper towels, wrap the clean fillets in paper towels then in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for at least a day or two to "age" the meat properly before cooking. This develops "umami". Fish meat aged DRY in the fridge WILL BE tastier than just-harvested fish.

NOW, the meat is ready to enjoy any way you like. Here is one of my favorite ways, grilled:
http://www.thebassbarn.com/recipes/fsr.htm

Or, make Striper Cakes out of them by simply poaching the meat in seasoned water, then following this recipe, substituting the poached and flaked Striper meat for the Crab:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mrs- ... cipe1.html

Btw, I am serving these Striper Cakes along with at least 6 other fish dishes in a few nights to celebrate "The Feast of The Seven Fishes" on Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas everyone!