Open up electronics box

greenhabah

Reaction score
I originally thought of making a panel to flush mount electronics over the current electronics box (and read some postings) but......

I think I want to go with a single 12" screen (which won't fit). I was thinking of cutting off the top of the box back 4-6" and glassing over the edges. This would allow me to install a 12" screen and have it stick up only a couple of inches above the top of the dash.

I have a 1995 24' explorer with a hard top and 3 sided enclosure so it shouldn't get much water and any that does should drain without issue.

Has anyone done something like this? Any cons to this idea?

Thanks for any info.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would not hatchet my dash like that. If the 12" screen will fit by flush-mounting, then do that. Othewise go with a smaller screen that will fit.

I have seen a few boats where they have the screen partially blocking the helm view, and that don't fit right. Makes for an awful looking setup.

Try to keep' er shipshape and bristol fashion :mrgreen:

EDIT: just noticed this was your first post - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
I would not hatchet my dash like that. If the 12" screen will fit by flush-mounting, then do that. Othewise go with a smaller screen that will fit.

I have seen a few boats where they have the screen partially blocking the helm view, and that don't fit right. Makes for an awful looking setup.

Try to keep' er shipshape and bristol fashion :mrgreen:

Ditto. If you cannot fit the 12" maybe you can go with twin smaller ones. This way you also have an extra display as back up.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I would not recommend cutting into it either. If nothing else, there is alot of lateral strain at the helm. I think cutting into the box will create more cracking down the road. (I have a stress crack at the base of my electronics box)