Open Water Running

Bumpye

Reaction score
Still getting used to my 2003 Gulfstream. Had it out on the ocean this weekend in light chop-2'-3' seas. It seems to handle the waves better with the trim pushing the bow down-under 1 on the tilt scale. I notice most other boats running bow high though. Thoughts??
In calm water it does plane off best at around 3 on the tilt scale. Pretty neat to watch the RPM's and speed creep up at WOT while trimming the motor up. Thanks in advance for any response.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, there's lot's of variables at play (wind, wave, current, tide, boat load, perceived comfort, desired speed, etc, etc) and there's really no "one best" trim setting. But, generally speaking, for "hole shot" you want the engine trimmed down to lift the stern as quick as possible. Then, as the bow starts to drop back down, trim up a little bit at the same time as you're pulling back on the throttle. For running in chop (assuming you're going for comfort, not speed), what you mentioned is correct. You want the bow to be breaking the waves. Think about it - the V at the bow is very steep, while the V at the stern is much flatter. Which one would cut the water better?

Now, if you trim down too far, and push the bow down too much, you're adding a lot of drag by having too much boat in the water. Two main things can happen: You will quite a lot of speed and have to run the RPM's higher, and you could experience "hull steer" where the boat actually starts to list.

You have trim tabs, right? Don't forget about those! They also have a tremendous effect of the boat's attitude and can help to keep the ride comfortable - even more so than the engine. Plus, they won't drop your speed as much as compared to when you have the engine trimmed down. But get used to the boat and the engine trim before you start learning how to use the tabs.

Bennett's site has some excellent "how to" info for tab usage.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Trimming the bow down on a GW leverages the forward deep v portion of he hull. I find it can help soften the ride in some chop. There are trade offs though, fuel consumption, more spray. Per the previous reply, best to experiment in various sea condition with the engines and tabs to figure what works best

Bumpye

Reaction score
Thanks DennisG01 and Legend. Good advice. I hadn't thought about using the trim tabs for bow up or down, just using them for starboard or port list. Good results there-amazing how much correction a 1 second button press will make.
I'll check out Bennett's site.
Thanks again