Opening Day of Fluke, Eastern Long Island

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well it started out promising, The weather was nice. It was sunny but cold. I left my dock at about 9:15 and got to the Greenport area around 9:45. High tide was around 10:00 so we had the outgoing tide to fish. We had four guys onboard fishing many different rigs and baits. Their were Gradys everywhere, I saw the 336, "Nothing Else Matters". We fished the entire tide for 4 shorts. I think the 55 degree water had something to do with that. Their were 4 or more party boats and atleast 100 more boats out there and all kinds of Gradys old and new. Lots of empty nets. I didn't see any keepers. Maybe next weekend.

Bob

Fish Tank

Reaction score
Where around greenport did you go? I've usually had good luck off the green lawns as well as by brick cove.

Maybe see you out there this weekend if I can get away.

-Rich most likely on "My Diamond" (still old owners name on the side until I come up with a new one)

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Bob, you should of say hello. We caught 8 fluke but no keepers, they were all 19 to 19 1/2" :bang :bang
Water WAS still cold and no squid in yet, hopefully next weekend.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Hey Bob, you should of say hello. We caught 8 fluke but no keepers, they were all 19 to 19 1/2" :bang :bang
Water WAS still cold and no squid in yet, hopefully next weekend.

I waved to you and you waved back. My boat doesn't have a name on it. It seems as soon as I name it I end up selling it and buying something different. LOL I saw you in Greenport then over at Greenlawns and a few other places. The water was very cold, I tried so many different baits and rigs. The high hook was a swing hook bucktail with squid. Color and style is a secret. LOL

Keep in mind that opening day was 2 weeks earlier this year. Last year everyone on my boat was in shorts. This year I had my foul weather jacket on.

Bob

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I usually wave to all Grady owners :mrgreen:
Bucktales in different colors worked for us too with spearing and squid.
Last year opening day my cousin got a 24 1/2" by Shelter island, this year not even a bite there.
I read on Noreast that a woman caught a 24" on one of the party boats.