Opinion: Drawstring Cover vs Snap cover - Tournament 185

GSnyder

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2004 Tournament 185 and need some cover advice.

I live in Massachusetts and have a place in Florida. I'm having a lift installed for the boat and that is where the boat will stay. I get down as frequently as possible but there are times when the boat may sit on the lift for 2-3 months.

Any opinion on a snap cover versus a drawstring? I just talked to a cover person and he recommended a drawstring that could be lashed to the lift. I'll only be covering the boat when I am away so it will come off the day I get there and get put back on the day I leave.

Any advice?

Thanks - Gordon

p.s. I'm also having a battery charger installed.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You want as snug a fit as possible....I would go with snaps...that will keep the animals out and as much of the elements as possible. If a drawstring cover works loose, the wind will cause it to flap....

Make sure that charger has a timer on it so you don't boil your batteries.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm on my second Taylor-Made Hotshot boat cover. The first one lasted 3 years, the new one was $187 shipped. Comes with nylon web straps to tie it down, and a shock-cord perimeter drawstring.

It just survived our three storm successions here, over 6" of rain, and winds to 60mph.

I had to cut a larger radius for the outboard as I store it tilted on the trailer. The cover is cut for the motor to store down. And I sew-out the bubble at the very bow between the rails, and I sewed the tie-down straps into the slide-adjusters so one end stayed captive. I tie a guy-line from the mast light to the bow rail so water cannot pool up on the bow.

I've been happy with the performance of these covers, especially at this price point. This one came from an e-tailer referred from the Taylor-Made website. They discounted it about 35%. This one has a 5-year warranty, seems like better fabric.

I may have shortened the life of the old one by bleaching it to clean the mildew off the inside. I'm not going to do that this time around. And it sits in the sun all year, we get about 340 days of sunshine. :wink:

GSnyder

Reaction score
Thanks Parthery and Chris - this is great feedback. A local canvas shop wants about $1300 for a custom cover whether it be snap or drawstring.
Gordon

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's high for that size boat. A good Sunbrella cover should run in the $800-$1000 range max. And they are nice, I love that fabric. I have one as a tonneau or helm cover that snaps onto the windshield frame and then behind the helm seats. It's an excellent over-the-road cover for trailering.

But for a storage cover, its hard to beat the semi-customs for under $200. Let's see, if I still only get 3 years out of my cheapies, that's still over 18 years for the cost of your one at $1300. Yikes.

I would shop around a bit. There are some online retailers that make them out of sunbrella or a competing fabric as well, if that's what you want.

Our local grady buddy and fellow GG member KingJ has a sunbrella cover for his 208. His boat stays moored in the harbor. His goes on over the bimini and canvas. Has sandbags around the perimeter. Nice piece for sure, and I think he has about $850 in it.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to the forum!!

GWcpa

Reaction score
Did you buy the one in RI? I talked/emailed the seller a few times..nice guy and good price, but too far away for me.. Nice boat if that's the one you got.

In your case I'd go with the snaps. If not for the long storage, I'd say draw string, but snaps and custom fitting will hold up to wind and rain better.

If possible, make sure the snaps get sealed. Not unusual to just screw them in with no sealant. That is my biggest negative with snap covers.

Got a custom snap mooring and cockpit cover on my checkmate and a cheap drawstring on my Mckee. The snap cover is very nice, the drawstring is very inexspensive.

GSnyder

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I bought the boat from a dealer in Clearwater, FL who was selling it for a guy. I had been looking for about 6 months and was ready to give up on a Grady because I could not find one in my price range. We were in Florida over the holidays and this one came up on Oodle. Looked at it and a couple hours later had made an offer. Went back and forth a couple of times and made the deal pending inspection. Had it surveyed and it checked out excellent.

My first Grady - what a beautiful boat!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat Covers Direct (http://www.boatcoversdirect.com)

They have a variety of covers available...from canvas all the way to Sunbrella... It all depends on how big your wallet is. The sunbrella one is around $660 or so.

Brad1

Reaction score
I know your not planning on trailering, but trailering is a real good test for how snug a cover fits. I've only owned one cover in my life that gave me enough confidence to actually use it trailering. It had a draw string, snaps, and loops on the perimiter of the cover to attach bungies from the cover to the trailer. It was a custom made cover.