Opinion on Power Winches

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Does anyone have an opinion on Powerwinch 912 vs Dutton-Lainson 9000 winches? Must have one for my 232G. I saw no recent discussion on Pros and Cons of these two.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're looking for a comparison from someone that has had both to be able to give real life experience on the two? Probably not going to find someone that has had both - and even if you did, the "sampling" size is going to be so small it would not be relevant. In reality, both are good companies and have been around for a long, long time. From my experience, which is limited to the Powerwinch brand, everything has been fine. That includes family members and customers. I'd also say that (again from experience) the PW brand is more popular. BUT, that's not to say that DL is bad - they definitely are a solid choice, too.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I own an older Power Winch. My model # is T2400. Back then there were two models the T2400 and the T4000. Those numbers indicate their max single line pull. As most things they change them over the years, I guess because that made too much sense and the numbers didn't look impressive enough compared to the model #s of their competitors. The T2400 is now the 712 and the T4000 has become the 912. If you look at these pictures, you will see "Made in USA" quite obvious and the new models make no mention of manufacturing location so, my guess is they have moved to China. I don't know this for a fact but were I you, I would verify that they are US made or no deal. The one I have was on a trailer of a previous boat I owned and it worked very well. It was easy to pull slack and I liked the adjustable clutch so you could set it so if something got hung up it would slip the clutch rather than break something or stall the DC motor. I used one of those "jump start" suitcase type batteries to run it. Kept it in the back of the truck and tied it on the tongue with a bungee and hooked up the jumper clamps. If they are still made in the USA, I would say that 912 would be a dandy.20190921_174734.jpg20190921_174746.jpg20190921_174829.jpg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a 912 here that I haven't used for years as I drive on these days . She is about 20 years old and made in USA . I never had any problems winching a 23' boat on a roller trailer.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I use a fulton over a year now with I would say over 50 uses with no issues. I have a 208 and use the 7000, for anything bigger I think they have a bigger model. I have to haul my boat at dead low tide sometimes and this winch pulls the boat up onto the trailer (pretty much the maximum test I can put the winch through).
Wireless remote is great makes life easy (I get a few smirks every once an a while at the ramp from some the guys hand cranking in).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190922-073936_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190922-073936_Chrome.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 11

JKM

Reaction score
This year have used the 912 for my 235 on a bunked trailer. It has the pulling power but I've had a lot of trouble with the cable getting caught on the spool. This is were the cable lines get caught under each other on the spool and it makes it very difficult to get it unwound. This also creates meat hooks on the cable.

Switched the wire cable out with synthetic rope which was excellent to handle and I had few problems with unspooling the line. However just the other day the rope spooled onto the end of the spool and forced the spool end plates apart and broke up the winch.

The boat has an anchor on a bow sprint that hangs up on the bow roller if the trailer is in the water too far. The boat wasn't able to properly float onto the bunks like I've done with my previous Grady. So I was using the winch at pretty much full capacity to get the boat up to the bow roller. This I think caused the cable spooling problems.

I am considering going to the 9000 because it has the strap and will not have the cable issues. It also has a power out which the 912 doesn't have. If you have a roller trailer that would be a good feature.

Ran the power off of the truck battery and that worked great. The kit however didn't have enough cable length between the truck and the winch so I need to buy some cable and make my own to the proper length.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
This year have used the 912 for my 235 on a bunked trailer. It has the pulling power but I've had a lot of trouble with the cable getting caught on the spool. This is were the cable lines get caught under each other on the spool and it makes it very difficult to get it unwound. This also creates meat hooks on the cable.

Switched the wire cable out with synthetic rope which was excellent to handle and I had few problems with unspooling the line. However just the other day the rope spooled onto the end of the spool and forced the spool end plates apart and broke up the winch.

The boat has an anchor on a bow sprint that hangs up on the bow roller if the trailer is in the water too far. The boat wasn't able to properly float onto the bunks like I've done with my previous Grady. So I was using the winch at pretty much full capacity to get the boat up to the bow roller. This I think caused the cable spooling problems.

I am considering going to the 9000 because it has the strap and will not have the cable issues. It also has a power out which the 912 doesn't have. If you have a roller trailer that would be a good feature.

Ran the power off of the truck battery and that worked great. The kit however didn't have enough cable length between the truck and the winch so I need to buy some cable and make my own to the proper length.
The D-L winch only has a SA series on
Here is the link to the DL9000 with a strap. etrailer DL9000

Thanks, I emailed DL and found out the TW 9000 series is made for boats and is rated for boats up to 9000lb. I did not look far enough on their web site before or I would have seen this series. Still don't know what makes this one different. Nice to hear from a Gulfstream owner also using a bunk trailer.

Last edited: