Opinion on purchase of 204 Fisherman

downtown

Reaction score
I have put down a deposit on a 1986 GW 204 Fisherman.

The motor is a 2000 HPDI 200. It only has 140 hours on it. A Yammie tech put the computer on it. No fault codes, no warranty issues.

The hull is another story. There is delimitation of plywood on starboard side of anchor locker. The surveyor got high moisture readings in the deck, the bottom of gunnel walls and the bottom of the hull. Tapping the hull, he found some dead spots. I know boats that are 30 years old are going to have some moisture. But the hull and transom are pretty solid, save the moisture readings. He also thinks there was some repaired blistering on a small portion of the bottom of the hull.

He wants $10,500 for the boat. Boat has been in a warm climate. Rewired. And that was done well. New fuel gage. Small Lowrance FF. Old vhf radio. New stereo. T top. No compass. No chart plotter. Plenty of rod holders. Trailer in decent shape.

What do you think.

I'm worried about the moisture readings. And the wetness of the boat, in the surveyors words.

Thanks in advance for your input.

mboyatt

Reaction score
You are not a good salesman! From your description of the boat and the known issues spotted by the surveyor, I would walk - or run. There are simply too many great deals out there in terms of used Grady's that would not have these issues. You may shoot for a hull from the later 90s. I understand that the outboard sounds sweet, but stil..... When I was in ther market for my used 192, I wanted both a sound hull and outboard. Took a while looking, but I got one for a great deal. I found the hulls from the 80s in my area needing too much work for my taste. Ended up with a 1994 that was rock solid and well maintained. Good luck!

suzukidave

Reaction score
every survey of a small boat that old that has been stored outside in the rain for a while or moored will show high moisture content.

but dead spots anywhere but the transom are pretty much a deal killer unless the boat is free based on the value of the other items which is not the case here. a rotted transom is a $2k+ repair. fixing a rotten floor or stringers is several thousands.

nothing wrong with a 1986 hull if in good condition, and that's a good motor, but i'd be inclined to pass unless i could assess the scope of the dead spots myself and the owner would let me drill some core holes in the transom and stringers to see what comes out..

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Allot of boats for sale. Take your time it is january after all. Good luck