Opinion, Yamaha F200 4s on a 272 sailfish

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was wondering if anyone has considered the new yamaha 4 stroke 4 cyl f200 on a 1998 sailfish. Grady put the hpdi 200 on these hulls. Just wondering if the 4 bankers will have enough get up and go. Spoke with grady & bert wouldnt commit short of hanging on the back and trying.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Why not? Even if a tad slower out of the hole than the 2-strokes, does it really matter that much to you?
The F200 is an inline 4 weighs about 125 lbs lighter than the F225. At one point it was reported the F225 really only had about 15 hp more than the F200 - not sure if that is the case. If it were me, I'd be fine with the F200s. I think they will sit better on the transom and to be honest, unless it was severely underpowered (which I don't believe it is), racing around isn't in my play book anyway. I think you will be fine.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I totally agree-, not looking for a speed boat but just want to make sure the power is enough to move this hull thru ocean swells. The F225's are more than adequate but looking at the pair of f200's and 250 lbs lighter on transom, got me thinking. I have to make a decision since my port f225 had corroded thru the block bt t stat & i need to decide which route to go

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pushing her thru the water is where you'll have a problem if you have one at all .

I have heard that the new 4-cyl f200's don't have the low end torque that their 6 cylinder counterparts do. If you run offshore with a load of crew, gear & fuel, you might find the performance marginal and maybe too sluggish.

I have great respect for Fishtales. I chimed in only 'cause it would be an expensive venture if it doesn't deliver. The speed would likely be fine; it's the low end that would concern me.

I have always said more power is better, and I've never had cause to regret it.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I think the 200 is a good choice. The 272 Sailfish really doesn't have the "safe" fuel capacity required for New England canyon fishing. So, if your thought of "offshore" is the shipping lanes, flats , 50- 60 miles one way then the inline 4 will serve you well.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping we had a member that repowered that can give me real work info!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In the absence of real world results, you may choose to scan Yamaha's test results on their website. See if there is a test of a boat with a similar length, beam and weight. I didn't see anything comparable in a quick scan. That might tell you something if there is nothing comparable.

Personally, if my boating is inland waters I might be willing to take a chance on the F200s. For offshore work, it would be hard to commit without the real world info you're looking for.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just a follow up, I did speak with a 2004 sailfish owner who repowered with new f200's. He had hpdi 200's on her prior. This new setup was better performance wise and he was able to net 2 mpgs. He noted i am welcome for a test ride this summer in which i plan to take him up on. Will keep you posted

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd like to see some pics of them on that transom. I think they will work out just fine.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just want to update this post, This past weekend, I had the pleasure of riding in a grady white sailfish boat which was repowered with f200 i4 4s. The hull was 2001 & was previously powered with hpdi 200's. the boat is located on the Hudson river 1 hour north of nyc. I was impressed on the overall performance with these f200 i4's. we were running at 4100 rpm doing 26.2 knots per gps & burning 14.5 gph, the hudson was flat calm on this test run. The top speed was 43 mph, no canvas & 1/2 tank of fuel, . The hull planed smoothly & performed well. The engines were propped with reliance 17' pitch & wide open rpm was 5700 with 4 bars of trim. The owner was very pleased with the new power compared to the hpdi 200's. Just wanted to post some real world numbers.