Opinions Please, Grady 265 Express

panheadsully

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm looking at this boat, I've got the Survey and it shows very very low hours on the Tach display for the engines. I understand you can't get actual hours from the ECM's so it may not be completely true. Looking for some feedback from you guys, pros and cons that you may see. PM me for the Survey.

I was hoping some of you experts could look at this vessel's pics and give me some feedback on it. I'm looking for a boat to Tuna Fish out of Safely. We usually travel 50-60 Miles offshore for a day of fishing. I'm thinking this could be a contender.

Here is the link:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/Gr ... ux1_BMrK70

Thanks for your help!
Sully

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I bought a 2000 265 last October. Do a search on 265 posts because there are a few recent threads regarding them.
I've looked at 4 of these in NJ before buying mine.
pix look about average for the age. Are those permanent stains on the deck?

The table in the cabin looks customized. All 265s that Ive seen have a refrigerator there. No seating, just a full berth.

As for low motor hours...not important... they are 17 years old and been docked and run in salt.
Old motors with lots of hours have been fixed multiple times, probably have more new parts...
Look at condition of lower units, tilt/trim rods.
I have the same motors. Run great, suck gas, 1 mpg@30mph
Price assuming you will be repowering sooner than you want to and you can't go wrong. Repower new is $36K-$40K

If you can get into Fuel tank hatch and aft bilge hatch, do it.
Fuel tanks replaced?
Of course, look at transom for any obvious rot. Stand on the motors and see if transom flexes.

Inspect all seams, zippers, and snaps on canvas. Get a sense of how many years they have left.

Electronics look a little sad. Is that a CRT screen? Radar work?
Price accordingly and have money for new electronics.

Trailer included?

The 265 is a great boat. It will do what you want to do, safely, comfortably. It fishes like a much bigger boat.
The cabin holds lots of gear and is a good place to crash.

If it runs great then-
My gut reaction based on my search and NJ boats, no trailer, it would be listed at $40K and get no takers. Low to Mid $30ks would sell it

Got mine for $22k from a very motivated seller but its every bit as good as that boat.

panheadsully

Reaction score
Thanks Skunkbutt!

It does include the trailer with the sale. I have not ran the boat yet, but just took some more pics of some glaring issues. What are your thoughts on the cracks and corrosion?

I have all new electronics to put on it, so I'm not concerned about that. My main concern is the hull integrity and making her shine again. Obviously the motors are extremely iffy, I would go with Yamaha preferably, but not certain on the weight issue and the scuppers.

The canvas is in good shape, the floors are just dirty and will clean up. I had a detailer look at it and they said they'd scrub it, polish it and wax it for 1300 bucks.

Check out these pics.

Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_2074.jpeg
    IMG_2074.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 418

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The plastic headliner cracks are common in Gradys. Nothing structural about that. I have a couple lines in mine.
Honestly, I don't know why they make anything out of that plastic. I suppose its better than stinky moldy carpet headliners.

The fuel filter bracket is evidence of what I meant when I say motor hours don't mean anything. The motors are as old as that bracket.
There has been salt water dripping down into that space. We realized early on not to spray the SW wash down too hard at the hatch above.
Below the filter there is a fuel flow sending unit. They send GPH info to the gauges. They might be corroded too.

If the aluminum fuel tanks are original, I would be concerned. You should price that you'll have to replace them if they are.
Get the deck hatches lifted and take a look at the tanks, the oils tanks, bilge, stringers. Look at the hatch lids underside for signs that water gets in.

The crack near the hardtop post is concerning. Get a look underneath and make sure its not just gelcoat crack.
It could just be a gelcoat crack but neither my boat nor any of the 265s I looked at had that kind of crack.
Look for more at all the mounting points. Look at the hardtop tubing for cracks in the aluminum

The lid pictured looks like gelcoat bubbles cracked. If its just lids its not a big deal to fix. Lids get slammed and take more abuse.
Look around for similar "zits" on the foredeck and the hull.That would be more serious.

If its easy to set up, I would take it for a ride with a knowledgeable friend, find out what doesn't work and get a gut feeling about it. ( If they can plop it in the water on short notice and run it, that is a good sign) If you are all smiles, or at least not thumbs down, then consider paying to get it surveyed. Experienced surveyors can give you a clear headed summation of the condition of the boat.

Come up with a price that leaves you room to do stuff (and you will have to do stuff) and give an offer.

I'm not feeling $42K...

Take everything I say knowing that I think 265s are great fishing boats and old one's are definitely worth a long second life with die hard fishing nuts who don't need super shiny new $200k rides.

Repower with F200s will be $40k, Zuki DF200APs will be $35k. The inline 4s weight shouldn't effect the scuppers the way V6 motors will. 400hp should be fine for these hulls. Many were sold with 200 HPDIs.

eppem

Reaction score
I will look at the link but the above posters comments are spot on. You can email me at mike@diversemm.com and we can share some info or move to a phone call. I have a 2003 GW 265 with twin F225s with 1,761 blissfull hours on them. Headliner cracks and gunnel cracks too. I'm 53 and if its relative to boat years I would say I suffer from the same age ailments.

Lots of happy 265, past and present owners on this site who will lend a hand!

SeaVee

Reaction score
I'm not feeling 42K either. That boat has been for sale for ever. PM me if you want, I just picked up an 01 with 480 hours on the rig, 200 HPDI's . paid south of 40k. I would think lower 30's

panheadsully

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman, I'm not feeling this boat either. Looks like a lot of cleanup is required to get here where I want her. I'm not expecting perfect, but something that someone has cared for over the years.

My impression is that this boat sat for quite a long time and needs substantial work.

I will continue my search.

Thank you all for the replies!

Sully

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman, I'm not feeling this boat either. Looks like a lot of cleanup is required to get here where I want her. I'm not expecting perfect, but something that someone has cared for over the years.

My impression is that this boat sat for quite a long time and needs substantial work.

I will continue my search.

Thank you all for the replies!

Sully
Anyone know of a 265 express for sale that the hull will pass a survey? Been looking for a wile now. Had one in New Jersey surveyed and it was wetter than the water it sat in. Let me know if anyone wants to sell. Thanks again.