Optima Batteries Anyone?

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I need to replace the batteries on my 268 Islander. I have looked around the forum for any reference to maintenance free batteries but have found nothing.
I used Optima batteries in my off road Jeep for years. Does anyone have any experience or opinions to share about using them in a boat?
yb

eppem

Reaction score
I replaced my batteries with West Marine Batteries as per Gradys suggstion, they are made by Dekka, Dekka makes the batteries taht comes with a new GW...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Optimas are great as far as maintenance is concerned. When specs are compared with other AGMs, they don't compare favorably as far as bang for the buck ... :?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
If you talk to customer service @ Grady White or Yamaha they will tell you not to use AGM batteries. They will recommend that you go back to the Dekas that are flooded and came as original equipment on the boat. I'm not sure but I think it has to do with the inability of the Yamaha engines to charge AGM batteries properly.

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, Grady does not recommend AGM batteries but I and many others here have had AGM house batteries for many years with no problems.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The reason the Grady/Yamaha don't want us using AGM batteries is because non of the AGM marine stating batteries meet the 182 min reserve capacity requirement of the big Yamaha motors.

You can use Optimas or any other smaller battery as long as you don't spend much time at idle speed. At low speed the alternators don't put out enough current to run the electronic components of the engines. So they draw off the batteries under those conditions. Considering the typical amount of other electronics all running at the same time, you can understand why they recommend battery with a large reserve capacity. Deka makes one of the few Group 27 marine cranking batteries that meet the Yamaha specs.

The stock Deka batteries are maintenance free even though they have caps that will let you add water in case you overcharge them.

sluggoe

Reaction score
thanks for confirming that....it took me a long time to figure out that strange anomaly regarding the RC (i.e why so high RC required for yamaha engines)!!

there are not too many batteries of any type that meet the 182 RC number; and in the flooded models it is usually the biggest/most expensive model;

that said, i replaced my exides a while back with west marine and so far the west marine flooded batteries have performed well;

--slugg.

mullet

Reaction score
I installed a third battery in the center cabin floor storage on my 228. It run all the electronics. I used an optima because of the beating it takes up there. I have been happy with the performance but it doesn't have a big load. I still use AGM's for starting and pumps.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
The reason the Grady/Yamaha don't want us using AGM batteries is because non of the AGM marine stating batteries meet the 182 min reserve capacity requirement of the big Yamaha motors.

You can use Optimas or any other smaller battery as long as you don't spend much time at idle speed. At low speed the alternators don't put out enough current to run the electronic components of the engines. So they draw off the batteries under those conditions. Considering the typical amount of other electronics all running at the same time, you can understand why they recommend battery with a large reserve capacity. Deka makes one of the few Group 27 marine cranking batteries that meet the Yamaha specs.

The stock Deka batteries are maintenance free even though they have caps that will let you add water in case you overcharge them.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... blockType= Yes, it is expensive but an excellent battery.

jweschler

Reaction score
I bought two a few years back and my engines did not seem to charge them right. I went through two and then they would not do anything for me to fix my issues or give me money back. They might be good for a backup do to they can keep there charge for longer periords of time.

rjriordan

Reaction score
I recently replaced my originals with 4 Dekka AGM Group 27's (Express 305)....roughly $200 each; also replaced the stock Guest charger at the same time with a ProMariner ProTournament 200 since half of it was kaput.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Depends on how long you keep the boat to justify the price.

When compared to Cabela's, Optimas cost more and deliver less amps, i.e., less bang for the buck ... :|

tar heel waterman

Reaction score
Try the Sears Platinum Series Marine batteries. Same battery as the Odyssey AGM for a third less AND has a three year full replacement warranty - no pro rating. Starts my 225 carbed Yam just fine even after two or three hours of bottom fishing with the Furuno 620, Garmin GPS and stereo running. Anyone with experience knows that the older carbed motors need some cranking power to start. I have two batteries of course, but the AGM is fully capable of doing everything. Highly recommended, check around.

loral123

Reaction score
I got 4 Group 27's from Costco for my twin 250 ox66 marlin. I think they were $65 each. I didnt know about the requirements mentioned here, but have had no problems. I bought the same batteries 4 years ago. Good luck