Options/Electronics to Get on a New Freedom 275

Cregeis

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I have ordered a new GW Freedom 275 and am waiting to have it built. I have ordered it with most options including both the bow shade, Sure Shade for the rear, ski pole, battery charger, bow cover, drop curtain, tonneau cover and side/front curtains.

i am considering a Garmin 8616 with Garmin GT 51 TM transducer, ICOM M506 VHF radio with remote mic, 2 8’ VHF and AM/FM antennas, Garmin XM Weather, and NEMA starter kit to link everything together.

What are your thoughts on adding a Garmin Auto Pilot? I will mainly be cruising and traveling the ICW but will go fishing occasionall.

What else should I consider?

Thanks in advance for all advice!

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Get a 12" screen.
Not sure you need two antennas.
You don't need autopilot unless you're fishing 20+ miles offshore. It seems like the ICW would be too crowded for autopilot?

Reactions: Cregeis

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you can afford it, add the autopilot. it is very handy to have on even shorter trips, as you can simply watch for stuff in front of you, and not fight the helm all the time. I find that I return much less tired now that my autopilot is functional again, than I did last year without it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Autopilot is the greatest invention ever. I was a skeptic but I can't even imagine being without it now. The Reactor40 with smart pump would be perfect for that boat. I recommend a separate controller/display for it. Don't use the 8612 as the controller.

Get a VHF with AIS receiver. With the symbols with course and speed displayed on the Garmin it has really become an asset in dark or fog. I kind of wish I had an AIS transmitter so they could see me as well. But I think I need that money for a new radar. Radar that overlays on the Garmin would be nice.

I have an 8' glass antenna on the main VHF and a 3' SS whip on the backup VHF. The whip will never break and up on the hardtop it gets really good range.
If you are inshore, a 3db antenna is actually better fit than a 6 db antenna.

Reactions: Cregeis