Ordered my dream trailer

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not meaning to side track here Smokey. Parthery, what is the advantage of a welded aluminium trailer? Mine is an i beam bolted aluminium trailer by Road King, with no issues, apart from brakes 2 or 3 times and springs changed out after 14 years, and of course bearings as needed. All seems as tight as when put together .

Last edited:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Think of the difference between an off-the-rack suit and a custom tailored suit. The off-the-rack can be altered to fit; the custom tailored suit fits like a glove.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Not meaning to side track here Smokey. Parthery, what is the advantage of a welded aluminium trailer? Mine is an i beam bolted aluminium trailer by Road King, with no issues, apart from brakes 2 or 3 times and springs changed out after 14 years, and of course bearings as needed. All seems as tight as when put together .

The I-beam as I am told by my brother who is a talented mechanical engineer and professor at Auburn , once told me the i beam load carrying ability is that tiny area where the flange meets the verticle part of the I beam. He said something about the load is transferred through the beam. Bolted trailers bolt to the flange and depending on the thickness of the aluminum and where the bolting takes place will determine how much strength and flex you will get at the locations where the bolts and bracing occur. I would think welding the brace to the verticle part of the I beam gives you a stiffer joint and perhaps better load transfer over bolting the brace onto the flange. I have owned Performance, Magic Trail ,Venture, and Ez-Loader. My skiff is on the EZ Loader. I have never had a welded trailer. I have never had a bolted trailer fall apart at the bolting area .

I upgraded my wheels to 15 inchers and the tires to load range E . I feel that will help reduce heat build up in the tires on the long haul trips. heat build up causes tire failures.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Smokey and Parthery, It has never been a concern just an interest in the potential difference. All bolts are stainless and yet have not seen a reaction between dissimilar metals with all salt water alaunching.. I added bow bunks on bringing it home from California, which were needed when launching on a steep local ramp to keep the pulpit from whacking the winch stand. Been dragging the boat around on it for 10 years with no issues as mentioned before.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So my 2017 Loadmaster is a suit from Walmart/Goodwill and Smoky's 2021 Owens and Sons is a fitted Armani?? I feel so inadequate now. :(:(

• Haha
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

seasick

Reaction score
Although I would get an aluminum trailer when and if I got a new trailer, I remember a comment made to me by a very knowledgeable captain/surveyor.
he told me that aluminum beam type trailers were known to take a set, that is to say that the long beams may bend under load and remain curved.
I can't say that I have seen that and it was a decade or more ago but it might be, steel is stiffer than aluminum

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Although I would get an aluminum trailer when and if I got a new trailer, I remember a comment made to me by a very knowledgeable captain/surveyor.
he told me that aluminum beam type trailers were known to take a set, that is to say that the long beams may bend under load and remain curved.
I can't say that I have seen that and it was a decade or more ago but it might be, steel is stiffer than aluminum

Aluminum is a great material for trailers touching saltwater a lot. Now if they could make a stainless steel trailer that cost less than my boat that would be the way to go. lol. I think part of it Sea is how big of an I beam to use to carry the load and for the metal to not sag or bend .

KY, I have never had a tailored suit nor trailer . This is quite a thrill for me to be able to get a true long haul beast I need to fulfill my disease, the Keys Disease and the doctor says the only perscription is more time there . You are about to be infected by it. Que the song , One Particular Harbor ....

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Smoky,,,, the more I look into the Keys, the more things I see I want to do. I'm afraid I've cut myself short on my time down there by only staying a week. There's always next year. Looking forward to having my little ole 228 with me in the Keys. Almost bucket list status to go to the Keys with my own boat. True bucket list will be Bimini with it.