Out Riggers on 99 hardtop

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just got some grand slam outriggers with 16' poles. Anyone have experience on what sort of reinforcement will be needed for the top ?
We would generally be leaving them fully extended in some big seas. i had a Parker that would have had its top ripped off under similar conditions if not for 1/4" aluminum reinforcement across the top. thanks in advance !

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I asked about these a few months ago with not responses good luck and post them when installed I am looking to do the same

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I mounted mine with the backing plate and wedge plate. I also put hard plastic spacer tubes that the bolts run through to prevent any compression of the hard top. You can get them at home depot. To get the proper length, I clamped the backing plate in place, inserted the tubes and then cut them flush with the top using an oscillating multi tool.

In addition to sealing with 4200 you'll have to seal the exposed core of the hard top where the rotator goes through. A thin coat of white MarineTex works well for that.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is an older top and I expect there would be a lot of stress in rough seas. I'd probably pass on it but it can be done.

I mounted my Taco top guns using the exact method Kizuna did. The tube spacers (plastic pieces cut to the hardtop length and installed in the hardtop and the bolts go through) are critical so you don't collapse the hard top when you tighten the bolts. I have 15' poles and wouldn't go more than that personally due to the stress. One option is to go with telescoping poles. Good luck.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Agreed. I have telescoping poles and only extend them when I use them.