Outboard Motor Shaft Length

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
I am considering getting a new small outboard motor for my aluminum jon boat (the Aluminum Grady), and I want to think about getting a longer 20" shaft for an aluminum boat that would normally use a 15" shaft motor. I am thinking that I may want to upgrade to a fiberglass skiff style boat one day that probably will have a 20" transom, and I want to be able to use the motor on that as well. My question is will there be any problems putting a 20" shaft motor on a john boat that's got a 15" transom? Any safety issues? Will the boat handle OK?

Another question is about Tohatsu motors. I'm looking at maybe an 8hp or 9.9hp motor, and had heard that Tohatsus were pretty reliable. Any feedback good or bad on them? Any other reccomendations?

Help and Advice is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
SwampGrizz

DaleH

Reaction score
Performance @ speed will suffer due to so much drag and it can make the hull squirrely in turns. IMHO you'd be better off buying or making a mini-jackplate, with not much setback if any, to raise the OB that additional height up off the transom.

Remember, small boats are VERY sensitive to trim. Sometimes you need to move the gear, gas, and/or crew fore or aft for best results. And sometimes you need to adjust the OB trim angle too when there's only 1 person running it alone. Just be careful not to trim the OB too far in which causes 'bow steering' as that is highly dangerous :shock: .

Doubtful you'd need it on a flat-bottomed hull, but on many smaller V-hulls I have had to install a Doel Fin or other hydrofoil plane/tab just to keep the bow down when accelerating. Test reports, and my own experience, show that the SE Sport tab 200 SE to be the best - and I've tried them all - IF one is needed/wanted that is. Just get the one that bolts to the vent plate, meaning don't waste the $$ on their additional "no bolt needed" snap-on accessory kit.