outboard power for 24' offshore 225 vs. 250

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm hoping to have my 85' 24' offshore fully painted by the end of the summer and fully rigged by late winter/spring of next year. I'm going to start looking for a motor for it towards the end of this year. Shooting for a 225 or 250 in whatever flavor I can get my hands on for a good price, preferably a late 90's early 00's carb'd engine.

Looking for some information on which one you guys think would be better. I know it's only 25hp difference and I'm sure either size will work. Just looking for numbers ( MPG, what RPM you cruise at etc.) for either size.

I know twin 150's is probably a nice setup, however it won't be in my budget and neither will the maintenance/upkeep on twin engines. I'm pretty set on running a single.

Thanks,

Jason

gw204

Reaction score
You might see a 3 or 4 mph gain on top end with a 250, but that's probably about it. I would concentrate more on the condition than the HP.

gw204

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that manufacturers need to be within 10% of the stated HP, plus or minus. So not all motors are created equally. I've seen dyno reports on Merc's 225 EFI that put it at 247 HP.

moorehaven

Reaction score
I have a 1986 Grady Offshore with a 225 Honda that gets 2.5 to 3 mpg . I think it is a great match for the boat . Cruises easily at 25 to 30 and WOT 38 to 40 .
Mike

jbrinch88

Reaction score
gw204 said:
Also keep in mind that manufacturers need to be within 10% of the stated HP, plus or minus. So not all motors are created equally. I've seen dyno reports on Merc's 225 EFI that put it at 247 HP.

I agree with you 100%. I will do my research before actually buying my motor and see what it actually puts out. Thanks guys keep the posts coming.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here's one way to look at it: How many times have you heard someone say, "Gee, I really wish that I had gotten the smaller motor." :wink:

GW 255

Reaction score
you would probably be happier with a 250 as it will handle the boat better when its loaded down. plus in the long run the engine will not be worked as hard to accomplish the same task. i went through the same process you are going through and in the end i decided on a single 300 for a 255 sailfish. granted its a little larger but overall i get 2 mpg at 25 mph cruise with a top end around high 30's. i am definitely glad i went with the larger engine over the 225 and 250 i was looking at. handling and performance is almost identical if not a little better than the twin 175 VRO's that i had on the boat before. Are you looking at 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
GW 255 said:
you would probably be happier with a 250 as it will handle the boat better when its loaded down. plus in the long run the engine will not be worked as hard to accomplish the same task. i went through the same process you are going through and in the end i decided on a single 300 for a 255 sailfish. granted its a little larger but overall i get 2 mpg at 25 mph cruise with a top end around high 30's. i am definitely glad i went with the larger engine over the 225 and 250 i was looking at. handling and performance is almost identical if not a little better than the twin 175 VRO's that i had on the boat before. Are you looking at 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

I'm hoping to get a late 90's early 00's carb'd 2 stroke. Lighter, less parts, pretty easy to maintain and work on.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jason,

I'll bet an E-Tec 200HO would work on your boat if you can find one used. The HO model has 10% more horsepower (220) and is quite and clean burning with none of the smoke associated with the old carbureted 2-strokes. My twins push my Sailfish at about 48 MPH but fooling around I did a plane-on-one test (i.e., one engine off and out of the water) and hit 35 MPH at 5100 RPM. If a single 200HO can push my Sailfish at 35 MPH I suspect it would handle the Offshore 24 just fine. (But of course a 250HO would be even better... 8)

Good Luck,
-Scott

GW 255

Reaction score
i could be wrong but when i was looking at the HO's you could only get them up to a 25", so probably wouldnt be able to use one for a single application. certainly would be nice to have one though, if only they would make a 30" leg in the graphite color

jbrinch88

Reaction score
24" offshore's were rigged with 25" outboard im pretty sure. I would love an E-tec if its in the price range.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is a reputable company in PA that rebuilds outboards and also provides a warranty with every engine. I have seen etecs on their site. If my ox66 ever crapped out, I know where I would be looking to spend my $ $.
As for the power, I'd go for efficiency. I strongly suspect the reason why Grady outfitted so many boats with 225's when 250's were available with the same displacement (at similar cost) was for efficiency. 225's typically had similar midrange power curves but better volumetric efficiency = more mpg.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wait till the new etec comes out tomorrow...should be very interesting..I hear from another guy who got a snap chat that it reminded him of the seven marine.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hate to say I'm in the bigger is better camp but well here I guess I am. :roll:
Here are my reasons, first yes I do like going fast, but not all the time. I had a bowrider before the Grady that while it was definitely not a big water boat it was quick and all in my family enjoyed that.
My new to me boat is an Overnighter that is maxed out with a 225. The prior owner who re-powered it saw things as I do. he reasoned that a larger motor can cruise at a respectable speed without beating itself up.
My boat tops out in the upper 40s and cruises comfortably in the mid 30s, where if powered by a 150 it would be topping out.
I won't be taking advantage of that extra speed very often but its nice to know its there.
When I do occasionally load the boat with passengers or pull tubes it can do it without issue. As for fuel consumption it probably uses a little more but I see it as a better option than an under powered boat that would burn fuel struggling to get up or stay on plane.
I see your boat is rated for a max of 280. I know of someone with a 300 powering a later model 24 and I can tell you that is working out very well for him.
I'd say though if you can find a decent deal on an Etec 250 jump on it. That heavy 24 will thank you for it.
Mike.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's a toss-up, The 250 would probably be a better fit for your 24 Offshore, especially loaded heavy, or very rough seas, etc. The 225 should perform fine though too, and perhaps not be as thirsty, although it will most likely have to run higher rpms for similar to 250 performance. I too would look for an etec or 4 stroke. Either will encourage you to use boat more because of fuel $$ savings!

gw204

Reaction score
jbrinch88 said:
24" offshore's were rigged with 25" outboard im pretty sure. I would love an E-tec if its in the price range.

What price range are we talking about?

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 250 SWSII on my 24 explorer, not sure if its the same hull but if it isn't its damn close, I wish I had more power, infact when I go to repower next spring if I can swing it im gonna try to move up to the 300, I think the weight of the newer 4s have come down close to what the 250 two stroke weigh. I don't need speed so much as comfort and not working the engine hard when fully loaded. As for now, top end, 36 mph, cruise around 24-27 mph. I get around 1.5 mpg. The transom is rated for 300hp and from what Grady says im good to go, ive sat on the engine cowling, and I weigh ~220 and it really dosnt effect how she sits to much even with 3 guys in the stern.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
gw204 said:
jbrinch88 said:

What price range are we talking about?

Price range where an E-tec most likely wouldn't fall into haha. I'm hoping to get a motor on the back of my Grady for less than 5g which is definitely possible if I stick to what I was looking for. Late 90's early 00's are mostly in that price range with mid range hours on them.

But that are deals out there. So for now (not even close to being ready to mount/rig a motor) I will just keep a look out.

I can probably get my hands on a 99 225hp Johnson FICHT motor for very cheap. We have one mounted on an old crap aquasport worth little to nothing. It needs a high pressure fuel pump which alone is about 8-900$ but I bet I could get that motor for less than 1000.00.

Only thing I have against it is its been sitting for a very long time, motor cover is cracked, skeg is cracked, engine has some hoses and wire harnesses disconnected on it from whoever was previously tinkering with it. I know it runs and has good compression still. To me I'd rather pay more money for a known running engine recently pulled off a boat.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
One of our customers at our yard has a 26' Seaswirl Striper with a single 200hp Johnson Ocean Runner and I've bay tested that boat multiple times after working on it and it get on plane rather quickly. Not a rocket ship, but the boat still moves ok. Totally different boat I know, but I think either choice I make would perform way better than this boat did and I would be more than happy with that.

I like hearing everyones opinions and what works for everyone. Keep the posts coming, however when the the time comes, I think price is going to play the major role in a 225 or 250. Whichever I come across first thats a good deal.

Jbird

Reaction score
I've got a 1991 - 24' offshore; with a 250 Suzuki... I'm still in the restoration phase; and yet to put it in the water. The previous owner said it would top out at 45+; and no problems with getting on plane or scuppers in rear cockpit...