outboard power for 24' offshore 225 vs. 250

jbrinch88

Reaction score
'84Offshore said:
Jason, you should post some pics of your resto.........

I've got a thread started in the photo section already. Nothing too interesting going on yet. I'm about done with all the glass work then its onto sanding/filling the entire boat.

92explorer

Reaction score
I have something you might be interested in. It's a Carbed 92 Johnson 225 Looper that was on my 92 Explorer when I purchased it about 11 years ago. Needs some work. Has new power packs, starter and water pump. Compression a little low on one cylinder but not bad. Needs power trim motor. I swapped it out as through a friend I purchased a newly rebuilt Merc 250 that the owner took out the lower unit on a rock with less than 5 hours on the rebuild. I would say it would need carbs rebuilt at least as its been sitting a few years and gone over.

Would come complete with prop and controls and cables. Let me know

jbrinch88

Reaction score
So I came across a used 225 Carb'd Ocean Runner for sale. The motor runs BUT has a hole in the block, go figure. Guy wants 750.00 for motor and everything it needs (wiring, gauges, etc). I was planning on spending ~3-5k on an engine when the time comes, but this is exactly what I want. A new powerhead for this engine is 3-3300 depending on where you get it from plus you get some money back for the core. I think I may go this route.

I'm getting the exact motor I want, carb'd, everything it needs to run, and with the cost of the powerhead I will be right where I wanted to be money wise. At least this way I know its new and won't have to worry about previous maintenance etc.

Only bad part about this is its in MA. Not a far trip from LI but it's not local.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a '00 250HP Yamaha on the back of my Grady. It is mounted on a bracket. The boat absolutely shoots out of the hole - I'm a life-long boater with experience with MANY different hull types and engine powers. I've also worked in the marine industry for 26 years. I am absolutely impressed with the performance from this setup. I was NOT expecting it to perform the way it does. Top end is nothing to write home about - 40ish MPH - but the hole shot is amazing - bow rise is practically undetectable. This is all without using the tabs.