Outboard Repower 1994 Tournament 192

BeeReel

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
What are others experiences on repower? i am going from a '95 150 ocean runner (weight 375#) to a very low hour 2016 evenrude etec 150 hp (500# +/-). Should i be concerned about the extgra 125#? will stern be lower in water? thanks for any input. Season is almost here for the northeast.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I honestly couldn't tell you and have no experience with a 192 Tournament, that being said I'd first start off by posting this in the General Discussion part of the forum as you'll likely get many more answers. Just from what I've gathered and seen over the years, the Evinrude motors have been discontinued since I believe 2020, so I'd factor that into the equation with regards to pricing and parts availability in the future if you needed anything. I know that a buddy of mine has twin Etec's on his Wooldridge and next to nobody wants to work on them, even though I guess Mercury Marine is supposed to. I also know that the Etec motors, depending on the year, can have a few issues with them. I personally have never been a fan of 2 stroke motors, even the Etec's as they're louder and smell compared to the 4 strokes. If you're looking for alternative weight saving options, I'd maybe consider a 140 hp Suzuki as they only weigh 410 lbs, which is considerably less than the Etec and much closer to the weight of your current motor. Good luck!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, it will certainly be lower. But by how much will remain to be seen as there are other variables. But, what you could do is add the extra weight on top of your existing engine and see how much it changes. However, you could always offset that by moving other weight forward or even just adding some dead weight up front.

In the end...I wouldn't worry about it - it can be dealt with (if there's even an issue).

seasick

Reaction score
Have a friend who weighs 150 pounds or more stand aft and see how the boat sits. The farther away from the vertical center line of the outboard the friend stands, the more he or she needs to weigh to simulate the effect of the extra weight of the newer motor

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First of all a few comments would be that after doing a little bit more research, the 2016 Etec that you're talking about isn't 500 lbs. From what I've read online the dry weights are either 418 lbs or 433 lbs, depending on which model you go with. So, I think you'll be much better off at that weight as compared to the 500 lbs you mentioned that the outboard initially weighed. Also, here's a link to a previous listing for a very similar boat to what your setup will be... it's a 1994 Grady White 192 Tournament with a 2006 Evinrude Etec 175 on it and there are several pictures of it sitting in the water at the dock. The weight of that outboard is very similar to the weight that yours will be at either 419 lbs or 427 lbs depending on the model, and although the pictures aren't great, it'll give you a basic idea as to what to expect. You do have to create an account to sign in to Pop Yachts and view all of the pictures, though I just used a random email address as they don't require you to verify your email before signing on. Good luck!

BeeReel

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
you guys are great thanks for the feedback. couple of things:
- in the '94 192 literature, max HP is stated 200 hp, i would imagine back then motor weight would have varied, so i feel a bit more comfortable that boat can handle
- the Etec 150 can be I-3 cylinder or ( i think 418 lbs), the G2 which i am getting is V-6 (weight is not clearly identified and i went with a probable worst case). I appreciate the feedback on the lower weight.
- Just some heads up on Evenrude / Etec motors. BRP was the maker who decided to stop production in 2020. BRP still provides parts and honors warrantees (which i have on mine thru 2026 on the 2016 with 86hrs). there is a dealer reasonably close to provide service and seems to be honorable / knowledgeable. Some issues with other parts suppliers supplying to BRP 2020/21 but dealer claims these seem to be resolved. (Is what i am hoping!!)
- If you haven't seen demos and tech features on the Etec i found it to be well designed and thought out, and addressed a number of owner typical service concerns.
Again, thanks all for the feedback. Happy Boating!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
you guys are great thanks for the feedback. couple of things:
- in the '94 192 literature, max HP is stated 200 hp, i would imagine back then motor weight would have varied, so i feel a bit more comfortable that boat can handle
- the Etec 150 can be I-3 cylinder or ( i think 418 lbs), the G2 which i am getting is V-6 (weight is not clearly identified and i went with a probable worst case). I appreciate the feedback on the lower weight.
- Just some heads up on Evenrude / Etec motors. BRP was the maker who decided to stop production in 2020. BRP still provides parts and honors warrantees (which i have on mine thru 2026 on the 2016 with 86hrs). there is a dealer reasonably close to provide service and seems to be honorable / knowledgeable. Some issues with other parts suppliers supplying to BRP 2020/21 but dealer claims these seem to be resolved. (Is what i am hoping!!)
- If you haven't seen demos and tech features on the Etec i found it to be well designed and thought out, and addressed a number of owner typical service concerns.
Again, thanks all for the feedback. Happy Boating!
The Evinrude website talks about the weights for the outboards, and then another good site for older outboards is JDPower, which will give the dry weights on outboards that are even over 20+ years old at this point. Per the Evinrude website, it says that the G2 150 Etec has a maximum weight of 433 lbs, which is also I'm assuming the 30" shaft version? Which I'd have to assume yours will probably be the 25" shaft and closer to the middle weight, which says either 408 lbs or 422 lbs respectively. Good to hear that it fits checks off all of the boxes for you and your particular application. My thoughts on the matter would be a potential lack of resale value on a brand that isn't selling outboards any longer. That, and as mentioned above, my buddy has twin Etec's on his Wooldridge that next to no one in the area here wants to work on. I've been out on the water a few times, one of which I vividly remember a Grady White like mine that had an Etec on it would race over to check his shrimping pots and then race off to another location. Every time he came near us, you could hear and smell the motor before he was within 50-100' or so. Compared to 4 stroke motors that are much quieter and don't put out the exhaust smell like the Etec's do, or can. But hey it's your boat, your money and your decision, just because I'm not a fan doesn't mean that others don't enjoy them. Good luck and keep us up to date on the progress...

seasick

Reaction score
The manufacturer's rating for max HP is not based on weight per se but rather on the strength of the transom. More HP, more torque. More torque, more stress on the transom..

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I''m in the middle of re-powering my 2001 192 and I'm going with a Tohatsu 140. I was considering the Honda 150 or the Yamaha 150 (4 stroke to replace the current 2 stroke HPDI) but the Tohatsu is almost 100lbs lighter and Grady customer service urged me to go with a lighter motor because (as the customer service rep. described it) that loss of 10 HP will be more than offset by the weight differential and on those earlier Grady's the scuppers were very close to the water-line... as a matter of fact they moved the gas tank forward a few years later... so, as she advised, go with the lightest motor possible to get the best results.

I expect to get the boat in the water in April and I'll see how it goes in the real world but I'm very hopeful based on the advice from the dealer and the excellent results they seem to be getting with the Tohatsu 140 (which also comes with a 5 year warranty).

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
By the way, the weight of the Tohatsu 140 is 392 lbs. (similarly to the Suzuki 140 which is approximately 20 lbs heavier). The current Yami HPDI Yamaha 2 stroke is 475# and the Honda 150 is 478# according to the figures I obtained. After speaking with Grady I was convinced that the lighter weight was the right choice. She was adamant about "the lighter the better" for that boat (pre fuel-tank adjusted 192's).

Gulffishin

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation with my 99 192. I am leaning toward the 140 Suzuki due to the lighter weight. Have you had a chance to get out on the water with your 140?

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
As a quick check-in... I am scheduled to demo my (repowered) boat with the dealer on Friday (4/14). This is with a Tohatsu 140. I'll provide an update once I've run it (although I'm not sure whether I'll really be able to tell much for a little while depending on the break-in instructions). I do hope I'm able to at least get a sense of the torque, how it gets on plane, etc. (despite the gentle break-in I'm sure they'll require).

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation with my 99 192. I am leaning toward the 140 Suzuki due to the lighter weight. Have you had a chance to get out on the water with your 140?
So I ran the boat yesterday with the new Tohatsu 140 and I'm impressed in every way. The new engine is quiet (night and day compared to the HPDI which I thought was pretty quiet for a 2 stroke) and powerful and is a clear upgrade from the Yamaha HPDI 150 2 stroke in every way.

I broke it in to the point I was able to run up to WOT in short bursts (approximately three hours of variable speed running and WOT for less than a minute until I complete 10 hours). With three of us on board (approximately 200 lbs. each) and a full tank of gas (boat is bottom painted and aluminum prop) and a light chop in the bay I saw approximately 5500 rpm and 38 mph. The hole shot was very good... low end torque feels considerably more powerful than the Yami. With the Yami (ss prop) and nobody else on the boat I was able to top out a few MPH higher... so it appears that I'm right in the ballpark there (probably will top out a little bit faster than what I was getting with the Yami apples to apples). One option from what I understand, if I want higher top-end and closer to 6000 rpm would be to swap the prop... but I rarely run WOT anyway and the speed I got yesterday seems to be right where I was before so I'll probably leave it alone. I'm anxious to see how the new engine performs on fuel consumption but I have to assume that will also be better than the 2 stroke. So far on day 1, which was a beautiful day on the Cape to kick off the season, I couldn't be happier with this motor. Incredible upgrade.

Gulffishin

Reaction score
So I ran the boat yesterday with the new Tohatsu 140 and I'm impressed in every way. The new engine is quiet (night and day compared to the HPDI which I thought was pretty quiet for a 2 stroke) and powerful and is a clear upgrade from the Yamaha HPDI 150 2 stroke in every way.

I broke it in to the point I was able to run up to WOT in short bursts (approximately three hours of variable speed running and WOT for less than a minute until I complete 10 hours). With three of us on board (approximately 200 lbs. each) and a full tank of gas (boat is bottom painted and aluminum prop) and a light chop in the bay I saw approximately 5500 rpm and 38 mph. The hole shot was very good... low end torque feels considerably more powerful than the Yami. With the Yami (ss prop) and nobody else on the boat I was able to top out a few MPH higher... so it appears that I'm right in the ballpark there (probably will top out a little bit faster than what I was getting with the Yami apples to apples). One option from what I understand, if I want higher top-end and closer to 6000 rpm would be to swap the prop... but I rarely run WOT anyway and the speed I got yesterday seems to be right where I was before so I'll probably leave it alone. I'm anxious to see how the new engine performs on fuel consumption but I have to assume that will also be better than the 2 stroke. So far on day 1, which was a beautiful day on the Cape to kick off the season, I couldn't be happier with this motor. Incredible upgrade.
Good Deal! Sounds like it’s everything you hoped jt would be.

You could probably hit 40mph by yourself as it’s rigged (which is plenty fast on the water IMO) and it’s easy enough to tinker with props after it’s broken in if you’re inclined.

Reactions: MashpeeMan

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Good Deal! Sounds like it’s everything you hoped jt would be.

You could probably hit 40mph by yourself as it’s rigged (which is plenty fast on the water IMO) and it’s easy enough to tinker with props after it’s broken in if you’re inclined.
Fully agreed. They want me in for a 20 hour service so by then I'll really ave a feel for it. Also agree on the 40 mph and rarely have an interest to top it out (a lot of the area where I do my boating has some degree of chop (Nantucket Sound) so a comfortable planing speed is what I usually do. Easily got up on plane yesterday and maintained plane and a little over 20mph in the low to mid 3000's.

BeeReel

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
hey guys finally got my '94 Tournament repower with Evenrude G2 15 (only 80 hours on it) back yesterday. took it our for a short maiden voyage and am very happy. Clean install, started right up impressed with how quiet and how well it performed. Motor is about 60 lbs heaver than the '95 johnson, scuppers just above water line. i trailer so not a problem. looking forward to a happy season! Thanks again for all the input!

Attachments

• Evenrude First Ride.jpg
    Evenrude First Ride.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: MashpeeMan

Gulffishin

Reaction score
Thats great news!

I have at least another week on mine….gotta love boat mechanics— this is my 5th “ should be ready next week”

Last edited: