Outboard to I/O Conversion

Reaction score
I have a Sailfish with twin 200 Yamahas on it. Due to a storm it went down. I had the engines pickeled, but bringing them back seems like I would have continued problems. I can't afford to repower it with twin outboards. It has been suggested to me that I/O's are considerably cheaper. Is this true? Is the conversion a bear? Does anyone have pricing?
Thanks for any info.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Sorry about your boat. I can not answer your question. Although I will lend an observation. The power to weight ratio of I/O is less than todays outboards meaning I/Os are heavier and deliver less power. Maybe you could find some decent used outbooards out there? Best of luck with all of it.

bhemi

Reaction score
What year Sailfish? 2-Strokes or 4-Strokes? Your engines have some value as parts engines/rebuild cores. Maybe buy a pair of used 2-strokes with modest hours. Ripping up your deck and building up stringers and engine boxes to mount inferior power plus cutting your transom for legs doesn't seem like a good idea.

A pair of newer good used 2-Strokes might cost $10,000.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-forum ... -sale.html

That's a listing on thehulltruth for a pair of 1996 Yamaha OX 200hp for $6,000 w/o rigging which you won't need.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they didn't have 200 HP OX's in 1996 but either way (carbed or inj) they are good motors. If it went down get the controls (and oil tanks), the cables will go bad usually at the worst time. You're looking at all new wiring, pumps, motors,... it's not an easy or cheap job but just to get moving again going used 2 stroke is not a bad option. By the time you make the boat able to accept I/O's and buy them you're way more expensive than used motors. If you have a boat with the eurotransom, it's even harder.