Outboard trim hesitates before working properly

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
1994 seafarer 226 with a 200hp Yamaha Saltwater Series II outboard. Last season the trim up/down started to work intermittently. It would hesitate for about 5 seconds and you can hear the pump before functioning. After about 5 seconds, it works. Marina said that when they pulled it that the trim function was not working. Is there a way to bleed the hydraulic system of air or should I be checking anything?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yes there is a reservoir for the oil. I use atf. Your seals for the pistons may need to be replaced, or periodically you may have to fill up the reservoir.

seasick

Reaction score
The system if Bennett is self bleeding. After checking fluid level, cycle the tabs several times from one extreme to the other. That will bleed the system.
In addition, on the reservoir there are two solenoids that have wires connected to each. They also probably will have a color mark, green or red for which side they control.
These valves cab act up due to dirt or grime and in a lot of cases, can be cleaned. They screw out but keep an eye out for check balls that can fall out.

If these tips don't help AND the sluggishness occurs or both tabs the problem could be bad pump unit which is often relatively easy to replace assuming you can get to it easilly.

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Perfect. Thanks for the help. I'll check the seals to see if anything is leaking and bleed the system if everything checks out. I'll clean the solenoids while I am at it.

seasick

Reaction score
Boy did I misread the post. The issue is motor trim, not trim tabs...
In both cases you need to check the oil level but the motor system does not self bleed in the same way that the trim tabs do.
First step is to raise the motor, engage the engine stop lever, fill the reservoir with ATF fluid. Disengage the stop lever and cycle the motor up an down, waiting 20 or 30 seconds between movement to give time for air bubbles to circulate. That method of bleeding may work but is not the official method which is a bit more complicated.
It is often east to see seal leakage or protruding seals on the trim and tilt rods. If the rods are not corroded, the seals can be replaced. Trims are not too bad. Tilt can be more difficult. Removing the end caps requires special tools.