outdoor carpet as poor man's seadeck?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm looking at this:

with the idea that I'd cut a couple pieces to fit my deck. Might make some loops that go around the support columns on the toe rails to keep it from moving around.

Stuff keeps getting dropped on my deck and it chips it. Seems like this, or something like, would give the deck some protection.

Thoughts?

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Why not give it a try? But it looks like it would hold water and get real moldy and gross underneath. Plus, it would probably be very lose and wrinkly. More of a trip hazard than anything.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Why not give it a try? But it looks like it would hold water and get real moldy and gross underneath. Plus, it would probably be very lose and wrinkly. More of a trip hazard than anything.
My plan is to pull each time I go out, clean it, clean the boat, and put it back in before the next trip. I agree that if I left it in, it would just get gross.

As for trip hazard, right now I lay towels down. My harbor is filthy, so I make people walk on the towels for the first half hour to get the crap off their shows. Seems like this would be less of a trip hazard.

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I like the thought process :)

I have a "feelilng" that when water gets underneath it - which it will - that it will "float" a tiny bit and likely cause a fall. Maybe the compression of someone's foot will counter that in most cases - but my gut tells me it's a possibility and you certainly don't want that - let alone X-miles offshore.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Could you put snaps on the 4 corners to hold it down.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Over the winter I bought a machine washable area rug from wallmart. It has a rubber backing, folds up and comes with a carrying bag. Its heavy enough that the weight keeps it down and with the rubber backing it keeps in stays in place. Plus, its an almost perfect fit in the cockpit. Now I got it for when my wife and I go away for the weekend with the boat, cocktail cruises and when we and/or the dogs are swimming. The nonskid on gradys sucks when its wet and you are bare foot. This gives great footing. It washes easily in the machine and I hang it over a ladder or door to dry. I have used it a handfull of times and so far so good. I' dont know how long it would last if used for fishing, way too much blood and guts for it. Havant had a tripping injury yet, knock on wood. We will see how long it lasts.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer

Take a look at this

DD
That looks like the ticket. I'll give that a try and report back.

Anyone else have a pointer to other stuff like that? Or has anyone installed that DECKadence stuff and have a review?

DDst

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky , I had it in my 228 until I put Marine mat down . I cut it in 2 foot wide sections that were aprox 6 feet long , leaving about a inch or two between .The heavy rubber backing stays stuck to the non skid , no slipping . If your going to clean and roll up after use this should work for you .

DDIMG_3596.jpeg

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky , I had it in my 228 until I put Marine mat down . I cut it in 2 foot wide sections that were aprox 6 feet long , leaving about a inch or two between .The heavy rubber backing stays stuck to the non skid , no slipping . If your going to clean and roll up after use this should work for you .

DD
How much was the marine mat, do you fish, how long has it been in, how hard is it to clean and how has it held up? I'm not opposed to a couple grand but the Seadeck guys came by and quoted me $7K and I passed. And by any chance do you have a template for your 228?

I kinda like the deckadence idea, I'd pull it as part of washing the boat each trip. I have 65-80PSI water at my house so putting the material on my driveway and hosing it down is pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

Dream Weaver

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Hey luckydude,

I wanted to go the sea deck route, but I too was turned off by spending thousands of dollars. I just finished a DIY “knock off” sea deck project in my 180 and got out the door for less than 1k. I’m really happy with the way it came out, here’s a link to the material I used. Feel free to message me if you want some tips on how to do it, there was definitely some trial and error involved lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0321.jpeg
    IMG_0321.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: Sdfish

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Decadence is nice. It will, of course, trap a lot of guts and glory - but it won't slip in the way I mentioned above. Actually, some high end ski boats come with it instead of snap-in carpet. A buddy of mine has it - it's very secure feeling and feel good under foot. I know you have some issues with your feet, I think? You'll like it.

DDst

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Luck , don't fish much , had it in for a few years still like new , Never washed it only sprayed with water . I used a tape measure for a template . You could
do your boat with a 6x8 or 6x10 piece easy , cuts with a razor knife . Order a sample and check it out

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hey DDst, if you look here:

There is the one that shows the backing, 126. Is that just to show you what the backing is like, do all colors have that? Or do you buy the backing as well as the colored stuff?

The pic in your boat looks great!

DDst

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They all have that backing , the backing kind of matches the color of carpet
See if there is a dealer in your area that you can by some remnants from , thats how i saved a bunch on mine

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
They all have that backing , the backing kind of matches the color of carpet
See if there is a dealer in your area that you can by some remnants from , thats how i saved a bunch on mine
I reached out them and the boss got back to me, great guy. I've ordered enough.