Outdoor Exposure.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Lifestyle change for me. I'm keeping my 232 Gulfstream in the water for the next 2 months in Northern Michigan. I want to get away from trailering as much as I've done in the past.
Anyway, question is, if I wax it once a month, will that keep the chalking and oxidization away? It is outside, in the water 24/7. I want to keep the boat looking new and it has always been stored inside between trips in the past.
How do all of you that slip your Gradys deal with the elements?

seasick

Reaction score
It's the UV rays that do the most 'damage' not counting in the hull under water. If your bottom is not painted, you may get lots of scum and or barnacles which (depending on the water type) can attach and grow quickly.
For the above water items, wax will help shed grime and will cut UV to a point. It will also make the cleanup easier. It's the vinyl, canvas, if you have it, plastic glass that take the worst beating but of course no more than when trailered in your driveway.
So I suspect that your wear and tear on the upper vessel will be the same. The hull will get slimmed or worse and the water line may get stained.
Electrolysis will eat up metals if you dont have adequate anodes.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Seasick.
Got bottom paint. I store the canvas unless the weather is bad, so it is not always up. The anodes are what came with the boat when I bought it new. This is sort of an experiment for me as I've never kept the boat in the water for more than a 2 week vacation. That's why I'm trying to get a handle on how much waxing and upkeep to do to keep it up to snuff.(I've been going around it in the water once a week to remove the scum line and wipe off the trim rods and the tabs, etc.

Amigo.
I will haul in Sept. If it freezes before then we all better HOPE for global warming.

Amigo

Reaction score
Had me worrined about a Grady caught in the ice. I put mine inside in Sept. also. It stays on a lift all summer so I have never sealed and painted the bottom

GLGrady20

Reaction score
I boat north of Muskegon and leave mine in the water for months at a time. A good coat or two of wax and a wash each week will keep your boat looking good the whole Michigan boating season. We do this with my Dad's 41' Egg Harbor and it looks great the whole season, and it's in the water from May to late September. But, if you don't wash it once a week or everyother week you will see it get dirty and will have to put another coat of wax on. Keep up with your cleaning and it will be good the whole season.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
GLGrady20..
Thanks for your reply. I had planned on a regular cleaning regimen anyway.