Outlet usage while I'm out in my 282 Sailfish

christo15

Reaction score
Right now, the only way I can use the outlets in my boat is when I'm plugged into shore power. That's great, but I want to run a heater while I'm out in the colder weather. Is there an easy solution? Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
christo15 said:
Right now, the only way I can use the outlets in my boat is when I'm plugged into shore power. That's great, but I want to run a heater while I'm out in the colder weather. Is there an easy solution? Thanks.
No unless you have a genset. There are small propane radiant heaters that will help your cold hands but you have to be careful about fumes and the hot air.
An inverter would only help with a really small electric heater. Even a hairdryer would be too much for a small inverter.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Your stuck as Christo indicates. You can put one in, but generally it will be expenisve and you have the maintenance on top of that. I'd be inclined to investigate a small honda generator. Assuming you find a good way to lock it down and protect it from the environmnet, it could be an option for you. Also, you can take it off the boat and use it in other applications as well as do the maintenance on your schedule and lower cost.

Just a thought...

seasick

Reaction score
frfly172 said:
You might want to try a Honda 2000 sound shield portable.will give you plenty of power and not much noise however price is up there.
Although I have reservations about using portable generators, many folks do use them. If you decide to go that route, you must have a marine grade carbon monoxide detector in your cabin. Even with the generator placed on the swim platform as some folks do, the fumes can travel into the cabin and bilge when the winds are blowing a certain way.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
You could look into several different kerosene or diesel heaters for boats/RVs.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought the Heater Buddy to warn the cabin and helm a few years ago. It uses the small green tanks that you can purchase at a hardware store and one tank will burn for about 3 hrs on low. There is an adaptor available that allows you to fill the small tanks from your BBQ tank and you can also purchase an adapter and hose to connect the heater directly to a 20 lb BBQ tank. The Heater Buddy also has safety's including a tip over shut off and a carbon minoxide detector shut down. I have been using it for years and have had no complaints

'05 300 Marlin F250's

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Gman25 said:
I bought the Heater Buddy to warn the cabin and helm a few years ago. It uses the small green tanks that you can purchase at a hardware store and one tank will burn for about 3 hrs on low. There is an adaptor available that allows you to fill the small tanks from your BBQ tank and you can also purchase an adapter and hose to connect the heater directly to a 20 lb BBQ tank. The Heater Buddy also has safety's including a tip over shut off and a carbon minoxide detector shut down. I have been using it for years and have had no complaints

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Mr. Heater Buddy, 4000-9000 BTU. Been using it for cold weather fishing, and winter work in the garage, for several years. Works great, heats the entire enclosed bridge area on Low setting, and one gas bottle will last all day.

Brian