Outrigger Install on Grady 232 Hardtop Weld or Backer Plate?

tboylan

Reaction score
I've got a 2007 Grady White Gulfsteam 232 and am looking to mount Taco 1.5" Outriggers to the hardtop.

Is the hardtop sturdy enough to support the outriggers with just backer plate?

Or do I need to weld a plate in to the aluminum frame to support them?

Thanks in advance.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Re: Outrigger Install on Grady 232 Hardtop Weld or Backer Pl

I would suspect that you'll need a backing on the Hard top. A few years ago I mounted outriggers to the roof of a Parker (who uses the same fabricator as Grady for Hardtops).

When I wiggled them back and forth it was clear that rough seas would have ripped them out of my roof. Picture your boat with 3-5's at your beam and those riggers get swinging !

I ended up using a band of aluminum 1/4" by 6" over the top, attached with machine screws and nylon backed nuts and 5200 adhesive. I then mounted the Lee T-Top rigger mounts through the aluminum. The aluminum stiffened the top where the riggers were mounted and spread the load way out across the top. They were rock solid and never produced so much as a hairline crack.

If you round the edges of the aluminum, countersink all the screws its not a bad looking install. Another concern I had was corrosion. Thanks to exposure to rainwater on the top side, it never happened.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

weld the backer/mount to the piping. that is how they install at the factory. i'm not an engineer, but i highly doubt sole mount to the hardtop will protect against the forces applied to the riggers. good luck, ron

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I have Lee's Sidewinders mounted to the hard top of my 330 Express with backing plates (i.e. not welded to the piping). This was done by the previous owner, but they are rock solid and show signs of flexing or weakening the hard top.

One note: if you do weld to the hard top piping, be careful that you don't melt any wires that may run inside the tubes.

trackah

Reaction score

Hi,

I have a Voyager 248 which most likely has a similar top to your 232. I have been looking for outrigger option for my boat. like you I do not have an aluminum backing plate welded into my frame and have concerns that a backing plate will not be sufficient.

I have been considering the Rupp RH-500 as a possible solution and using them out of the top rod holders on the hard top frame.

I have been asking around and have been unable to find anyone familiar with these. but I'm pretty certain Rupp makes quality products.

Take a looks at these and share your thoughts. or better yet if someone has used these I would love to hear some 1st hand experiences with them.

http://www.ruppmarine.com/rod-holder-mount

HMBJack

Reaction score

Like Elyse said above: WELD the unit to your piping.

Anything else and you are taking a short cut and asking for problems down the road. The hard top of your Gulf Stream is balsa core and as such will absorb water like a sponge from movement in the base no matter how you do it.

There is a reason GW WELDS their Outriggers at the factory if the boat is purchased with that option. Good luck!

Fishtales

Reaction score

Do a search here as there are threads on this topic.
I mounted Taco GS270s directly to the hardtop. I used backing plates on the bottom and the 7.5 degree angled plastic wedge plates that Taco sells. I installed tube spacers in the holes as well to assure the hardtop was not compressed. They have held up fine. I don't fish in crappy weather but do ride in it from time to time. I used telescoping poles.

If you weld, there are some things to address. Wiring in the aluminum tube - you should remove all wiring. Hardtop is mounted and caulked to the aluminum frame - it should come off and it will be a lot of work. For a 10+ year boat, might be worth taking a shot at just installing. I came to this conclusion when the boat was a year old.

Another option could be to mount the supports by bolting them to the frame. This might be the best route.
Good luck....

trackah

Reaction score

Hi,

Here is a follow up to my question yesterday regarding the Rupp RH-500 outriggers. I made a call to WMW Marine the manufacturer of the hard top Grady uses on my boat. I explained the product to him and my plans to use it in the top rod holder of the hardtop legs. He did Not think this was a good idea because the rod holder is welded to a tab which is the welded to the tubing. He felt pretty certain that the 1/8 inch aluminum tab would bend. He also seemed to think I could get away with the backing plate on a taco 280 if I kept it towards the back corner of the hardtop.

I also sent an email to the Taco company explaining what I was trying to do and they said the backing plate on the taco 280 was adequate. (although it was an email and a very undetailed yes it will work reponce), they gave no opinion on using the RH-500.

I'm thinking I'm going to go the backing plate method that Fishtales used and limit myself to 15' riggers, and hope for the best.

If anyone comes up with better options I'd love to see them. Hoping to purchase and install before the season gets under way.

One last question, is Grady now installing Taco outriggers or Rupp Outriggers on new boats?

Best
Trackah

HMBJack

Reaction score

Why not ask your GW Service Manager what he/she thinks?

Backing plates + Hoping for the best on 15 foot riggers seems unwise to me.
If we had solid fiberglass hard tops, I'd go with backing plates.
Remember that while running your boat, a set of swinging outriggers translate enormous pressure on the mounting system. Just sayin...

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I agree that welding would be best, but I've had my riggers mounted with backing plates on my current boat (330 Express) and my previous (Boston Whaler 28 Counquest). The bases were installed by a previous owner on my 330 several years ago, and there's no sign of any problem -- the top is rock solid (my surveyor tapped it thoroughly, and there are zero signs of cracking or movement). I installed the riggers on my whaler myself (Taco GS270s), and that boat also had a cored top. As Fishtales mentioned, if you go that route you should use the tube spacers like Taco recommends.

I run 18' Lee's Carbon Fiber telescoping poles, and I basically never retract them even when running in rougher seas. I do keep the halyards tensioned back to the hard top tubes to minimize upward flexing...

I'd definitely recommend Carbon Fiber for the rigger poles -- they've gotten a LOT cheaper and they are MUCH lighter and stronger than aluminum. That will certainly help reduce stress when underway. Or you can be less lazy than I and retract the poles if they are telescoping! I could be wrong, but I've always assumed that the stress on the bases when running (with poles extended) is a lot more than the stress when actually fishing. Even when pulling heavy bars (I usually drag 4 splash bars from my poles), the pull is pretty constant and presumably exerting less peak force (torque) on the bases.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new riggers whichever way you go. They make a HUGE difference in presenting the spread in my opinion!

Fishtales

Reaction score

Here is the thread. Several here installed on the hardtop. There is both the basic install (through the hardtop, bolted) and with the screwed support plates.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17320&hilit=outriggers

Fishtales

Reaction score

BTW, I used 15' telescoping poles. If you look closely at the pics you will see the wedge plates under the top side of the outrigger base and the hardtop. Under I just used the plates.
I recommended the tube spacers. Basically hard plastic that slip over the OD of the bolts you use and are cut exactly to the width of the hardtop. 5200 these in prior to mounting the riggers. These will ensure you can tighten the screws down without crushing the hardtop. I used all SS hardware. Use mylar washers between the screw head and rod holder top.

Just checked. I did it in 2008 and they are fine today. I collapse when not using and tie the rigging down with the caddies you can buy and attach to the poles. When not in use, they are out of the way and no impediments getting around to the bow.

If I was hard core fishing with them all the time, I may have went with the Lees on the side. I've used them about 15 times thus far. To be honest, I use the poor man outriggers (outrodders some call them) much more as there always seems to be a crowd where I'm fishing. http://www.arrigonidesign.com/rod-holders/

tboylan

Reaction score

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm feeling more confident about not welding and using a bolted on back plate similar to what ayacht used on his boat.