Outrigger mount question

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I will be installing some Taco hardtop mounted outriggers on my Marlin soon and I’m looking for some input. If anyone has factory hardtop mounted outriggers on a marlin, could you take some measurements of the placement of them? Trying to mount them in as close as possible to the factory location. Thank you

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Make certain you solidify them at the base when you start pounding in that 2 ft chop...;)

• Haha
Reactions: Jrspawn

Fishtales

Reaction score
Boat is wrapped and away. I installed mine without the welded in hardtop frame mounts years ago. Done right you can install them this way without fear of damage. Will say I only went with telescoping 15' poles and usually only run extended on fishing trips. I used the Taco backing plates backside and wedge plates on top to account for the hardtop rolloff. The trick is to use tube spacers on the mounting bolts so you don't collapse the hardtop when tightening down. I used 4200 on the tube spacers and sealed everything (including sidewall of the large center hole (used a hole saw). As far as placement, install so the arm mechanism swings out abeam, ensure the mounting holes are outside the hard top frame. Use the wedgeplate and backplate as a guide. You just have to make sure you clear the hard top frame. Once you drill your first hole, your committed so the angst goes way down. Really not that hard of a job.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the previous owner of my 330 installed Lee's Sidewinder rigger bases close to the aft of the hard top with backing plates, but not otherwise supported. I leave my riggers extended at all times and have had no sign of problems. I have 18' Lee's carbon riggers which are much lighter than the aluminum ones and also more flexible, so those definitely don't apply as much force on the bases.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Placement isn't critical, access is. You want to be able to access comfortably. My Tacos require you to grab a handle and rotate them 90 degrees. I faced the handles aft and ensured I can access them easily to pull down on them and rotate. One tip is to check other boats in your area - especially if GWs and get ideas. Once you drill, your married.

Reactions: everwhom